Theming on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Krutonium, Jul 16, 2015.

1. dslr

dslr MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2015
    #21 dslr, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

Actually it is, I can't post link but it's called 'Get colored title bars in windows 10', do what's described there and then start CMD and go to
    Code:
    control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageColorization
    for more fine-tuning.

2. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Well, as a WPF developer, I know XAML for quite some time, and if you were ever involved in UI development on Windows, the concept of it is (IMO) much more powerful and sophisticated than everything else there is. It's also more complex, therefore it's easy to make mistakes and use it the wrong way. After all, XAML is just a markup language, like HTML, and if it's not performing well, sure, it can be crappy code-behind (but sometimes it can be driver related because, just as I said, it is based on DirectX and if you have bad graphics drivers the experience will be bad as well.)

That being said, it's not about the XAML. It's the way they utilize it. I think a lot of the issues arise simply from the fact that so much stuff is now a mixed world of the new and old Win32 stuff. Put a square pig through a round hole.

3. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    #23 labvxe, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Can anybody explain the way to get aero back either by registry tweak, third party, etc
    Nothing paid please, only free if third party or cracked
    Thanks a bunch

Edit: the titlebars are the main issue for me :)

4. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    teh native theme is the best.

5. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    I miss transparency on my titlebars :weep:

6. Mrox2

Mrox2 MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2014
    #26 Mrox2, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    Exactly what I was referring too when I said half a$$ed before. When people on the feedback App told them to keep one thing of two instances like "Remove old calculator and keep the new modern one" that's when MS Starting removing stuff and we got a mixed OS with removed legacy apps and mainly crappy Modern apps. I would have preferred if XAML was only applied to the Start Menu, but I'm not a fan of continuum either, the previous one was better, Much better.

If its all really a driver issue then its because of that "FORCED" Update Method they also used in the settings app, recently or a few days ago a new Nvidia driver was installed for me, although I doubt this is the real reason, its just crappy programming.

Edit: It's actually working better and fine now, almost flawless, I had used the "Reset PC" Option and its clean now, the in place upgrade they bragged about must not have been a good idea, too much for bragging rights, bugs possibly carried over or incremented because of upgrading from build to build.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. gurqn

gurqn MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2012
    Before disliking everything related to win10 please post your hardware specs.

I can confirm at least it's butter smooth with following hardware respectively both laptop and desktop

Laptop: macbook pro mid 2014
    Desktop: gtx980 and 4k monitor (Viewsonic VP 2780-4K)

8. HpBaxxter

HpBaxxter MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Im missing windows 7 aero ;)

9. White Wizard

White Wizard MDL Junior Member

Jul 3, 2013
  10. Mrox2

Mrox2 MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2014
    The flag icon for the "Start Button" is located somewhere inside aero.msstyles, the rest is just XAML.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Mrox2

Mrox2 MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2014
    #31 Mrox2, Jul 18, 2015
  12. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    #32 sXpTv, Jul 18, 2015
    Theming in Windows 10 is totally crap.. sorry, but look at this.. I don't get it why Microsoft keeps mixing Win32 with XAML components.. Either they release a fully XAML based Windows OS which is compactible with old Win32 programs or completely scrap the XAML stuff and keep Win32.. I think that Win32 is the right choice.

:(

PS: And something that i don't understand is why the titlebar is so thick. I thought that tablets are using the Windows 8 gestures for closing & minimizing?

13. Nixeus

Nixeus MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Same for me ! Start button is better on windows 8.1 !

14. Nixeus

Nixeus MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    How replace the start button like the W8.1 start button ? Thanks
    It's juste a size to change?

15. rewar

rewar MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2014
    to labvxe: We lost the ability to resize the title bars, because MS thinks everyone will have a touchscreen on their desktops/laptops. So while programs like windowblinds exist that may let us theme the window frames I don't know how successful they'll be at actually making it look better. I would probably end up using a combo of windowblinds and classicshell to "personalize" my "experience" on win10 I just don't think I should have to go through all these hoops. Another great little program out in the wild is something called Litestep (highly customizable) that works as a shell replacement for explorer, hopefully it will get win10 support. You'd still have to find a way to theme window frames using uxtheme or windowblinds. Since we now lack a bunch of settings that made it possible to resize certain aspects of window frames we are all stuck using those nasty thick titlebars, I think beginning with win8 some of these started being deprecated. I hope someone releases an alternative startmenu that lets me use the stock apps so I can try live tiles out w/o having to sacrifice a bunch of settings. I would actually be glad if someone created an aero like theme for win10 that re-enabled transperancy. We do have these but I haven't tested on 10240 yet...glass8 just google as I still can't post links or images yet.

16. rewar

rewar MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2014
    It should get better with time, I had high hopes for customization in win10, so far I'm very disappointed.

17. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    #37 dhjohns, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  18. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    Can anybody help in increasing the size of everything on the taskbar, start button, etc.

Thank you in advance

19. Mrox2

Mrox2 MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I Agree, going with XAML was a bad idea, again, I call this a bastardized Windows (half a$$ed). it works but god how broken it was when I first upgraded... and if I didn't reset.... all XAML Elements were not working.
    Yup, that's why I liked the visual style, taskbar and all of its elements along with the start menu from builds pre-9879 / 9926. Seriously, I hope someone patches in all of those elements somehow into Win10 RTM.
    Yup.
    That would be nice too, I prefered the bigger Icons and Start button in earlier builds, again.. pre-9926 / 9879