Thinking about an SSD for my Netbook. Bottom line. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by donalgodon, Aug 17, 2010.

1. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    Whatever you decided DO NOT USE ANY SSD FROM KINGSTON THEY'RE WORTHLESS here are some SSD info:

Kingston V Series:

So slow that even the hard drives seem fast at his side.

Maybe Kingston its the most prominent among the RAM market, but in the SSD market they have not yet penetrated deep.
    However, the V Series is a prominet meat holder: with a capacity of 64 GB SSD sold for only 150 USD.

Unlike many other SSD drives present, the V Series uses MLC NAND flash controller with Toshiba TC58NCF602GAT.
    I had not heard before of it, but after a little research, find out which is based on the infamous JMicorn JMF602, which is fifteen months old or older. This driver without cache is almost the antithesis of the SSD revolution, as it has a very high latency. The units are pausany and microblocked use for several seconds each time they write. It's a bad choice, therefore, even for a unit as affordable as the V Series.

Although this model starts Vista in a reasonable 30 seconds, horrible slow shown on some tests. In Lometa, pro example, I can write only to 0.05MB / s, 65 times more slowly than the next SSD for speed (V + Series Kingston 64GB) and 20 times slower than the Samsung F1 hard drive. The V Series is much in writing but in proof FC-Test, remains on average between two and three times slower than other SSDs.
    The straw that breaks the camel is its latency. Although the Toshiba name appears on the driver, still shows an impressive write latency of 16 seconds. In contrast, even the Intel model offers a latency of less than 300ms, while other units are achieving 10ms. Once more, the Samsung F1 hard drive is faster, with a maximum latency of 33.31ms writing.

Although for a desktop PC, a 64 GB SSD can fall short, this capability should be sufficient for most laptops. whatsoever, since this model is equipped with this terrible amount of latency in writing, not worth buying regardless of their low price. Kingston, Toshiba and JMicron should be ashamed of having done so very wrong.

Value percentages:

Speed: 24%
    Features: 60%
    Quality - Price: 43%
    Total Value: 38%
    compared to other SSDs.

I hope this is helpful in your decicion.

If you need detailed description of another unit SSD, let me know.

2. spunxhoe

spunxhoe MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2009
    i too have a netbook for my academics and one of the irritating cons of a hdd is the spin up time when a file is opened..or when i use spell check in word etc.. plus for some insane reason, my tabletop seems to resonate with the hdd spinning...so much so that i cant place the netbook on that table.... after a year with my netbook, i see tht i have used only 50gb out of the 250gb..if i could scrounge up the dough for a 120gb SSD, i would've hit the "Buy" button long time ago...

The pros of SSD: faster access time, no spin up time, silent, doesnt heat up, great R/W speeds
    CONS: big a$$ cost, TRIM commands, paranoia about SSD failure with all my academic files going up in smoke :(

3. amtriorix

amtriorix MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2009
    The ZFS file system on Solaris and FreeBSD is a solution against bit rot, even on a single disc. If You use another OS, there is one solution: Image (backup) your disk ar regular times!