This computer is not running genuine Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pixeeman, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Pixeeman

Pixeeman MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    Hello

I have a user at my company running a copy of 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise on a Dell E6420 laptop and he keeps getting the pop up window message "This computer is not running genuine Windows 7".

He has had the machine rebuilt twice and one of my colleagues has forced an activation so the system properties say the windows is genuine but this error message keeps popping up.

Any ideas on how to fix this.

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    By "rebuilt twice" do you mean computer hardware was replaced, the operating system was reinstalled or both? How was Windows 7 activated if it was reinstalled?

You really don't need to duplicate posts.

3. Pixeeman

Pixeeman MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    Sorry about the duplicate post. I just spoke with a colleague and the Windows automatically activates itself once installed as we are using a corporate copy. Also Windows was reloaded twice and no hardware has been changed.

4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Considering it is probably a MAK key since your colleague is using Enterprise Edition of Windows 7, I would recommend he call Microsoft to get this straightened out @1(888)-571-2048

5. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Enterprise can only be activated with MAK (Multiple Activation Key) or KMS (Key Management Service).

6. Pixeeman

Pixeeman MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    Many thanks for that. After I checked some forums out, I called Microsoft and between myself and an engineer we discovered an MS update had been applied and was trying to validate the copy of Windows when it already had been validated. This update is not required for Corporate copies of Windows 7 so we removed it and now the error message has gone. Thanks again.