This is all convoluted to me, can someone dumb it down?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BaffledSoftware, Mar 19, 2019.

1. BaffledSoftware

BaffledSoftware MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2019
    Hi,

My first post here.

Im reading through posts, but the more I read the more Im getting baffled and realizing how much I dont know (like in anything else).
    I would like to do a clean install of W10 Pro 1809.
    Not LTSB or anything like that.

1) Can I download official Windows 10 with media creation tool, and use one of the keys posted here?
    2) Can I download official Windows 10 with media creation tool and later activate it with kms38?

Are these methods manageable?

This is all convoluted, if someone can dumb it down for me?

Many thanks!

2. freddie-o

freddie-o MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #2 freddie-o, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  3. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Yup the MDL way, use the SVF tool to get your iso and activate with KMS. Allows you to run pretty much any version you like. For me the choice is pretty simple, Enterprise workstation or LTSC if don't want the UWP stuff.

4. BaffledSoftware

BaffledSoftware MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2019
  5. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    #5 Krager, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    KMS38 uses a different method and activates windows pretty much forever. KMS_VL_All activates for 180 days like a normal key management server. It then has to be re-run either manually or by a scheduled task on that interval.

KMS38 is not supported on this forum, KMS_VL_ALL is supported on this forum.

KMS38 throws a red SL manager error on boot, harmless but helps to clutter the event log. I don't believe KMS_VL_ALL throws any errors, but haven't tried it. I'm actually using KMSpico. Although abandoned it still works on 1809. I like it because it's easy to use and doesn't throw any errors, I'll go to KMS_VL_ALL when I have to.

6. socra99

socra99 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2016
    Can you explain what the difference is between using the svf.iso.converter.aio.cmd and using the site TechBench by WZT ?
    Do they both deliver the same iso that you can then use with the kms tools?

7. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    The SVF repository that SFV tool uses is down for the foreseeable future. The difference between the two is SVF tools use a base ISO file and a Smart Version patch to convert into whatever edition the patch was made to do. Yes, the TechBench dump sites will get you official ISO files directly from Microsoft. And yes, they can be activated in all the usual ways.

8. socra99

socra99 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2016
    I've seen that the SVF tool no longer works at least with the MY VISUAL STUDIO download option as you stated. (that's the one I tested)
    Forgive my ignorance but can you explain what the benefit is from using the TechBench dump site to download the iso compared to "just" going to the M$ site and download the Windows 10 iso from there?

Thanks!

9. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    The benefit of TechBench dumps are the sheer volume of choices offered in an easily navigable layout.

10. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    OP is after pro version, so why should he go the convoluted way of svf patches instead of simply using mediacreationtool, or even downloading the iso from microsoft directly (via browser with changed user-agent to ipad or smth), heidoc.net or techbench?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    I prefer an iso.

12. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    hence the last part about how to get it.
    but mct can also create an iso, and is the smallest download size (plus other advantages like checking compatibility or integrating hotfixes)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Mainstream aint a problem, its ltsb/c and some more esoteric type editions.