Three W8-1 installations, three different problems :/

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by moderate, Feb 18, 2014.

1. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #1 moderate, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    I am starting to think about W8-1 as about pretty unstable system. I did W8-1 installations on three different computers last week at each one there is different error and all of them are (according me) annoying:

1. After I added drive C:\ location (as root and subdirs) for indexing, SearchIndexer crashes (almost) at every boot. I tried to delete and recreate index but no luck.

2. New SkyDrive tray icon sometimes doesn't start and in that case there is also no SkyDrive option in File Explorer left panel. Tray icon has to be manually invoked by starting METRO (!) SkyDrive application. 8/

3. System reliability graph just shows nothing for three days. I tried to reset it, but again no luck.

I hope, that W8-1-1 will be more stable. :/

Did you get stable W8-1 without ANY problems after your clean installation?

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    The only issue i have is that one old game doesn't run very well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    True, but this makes using winkey+s and typing a program name with the intent on using ctrl-shift-enter to run it as admin impossible. There's very few programs that you'd even want to do that with, but I'm just sayin... regedit, cleanmgr, etc would be a pain to find if you haven't already made admin shortcuts for them

I would think that was obvious. OneDrive, as it's now called, is a cloud service. Clouds require internet connections. You wouldn't try to play a Steam game without an internet connection would you?

As far as my own personal opinion...
    Well, Win8.x is like an SUV. It's not required to get from point A to point B.
    It has a larger engine to prevent getting stuck going uphill, but at the cost of requiring much more fuel and weight.
    It also has a lot of pointless crap for the kiddies. In an SUV you'd have backseat DVD players and phone chargers. You have a bunch of cup holders; and maybe some heated seats or other useless crap that some people like.

Win8.x is to SUV as Win7 is to basic 4door 4cylinder car.

4. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #4 Enigma256, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    1) I'm all but certain that this isn't Windows' fault. Do you know how the search indexer works? Take, for example, Adobe Acrobat. When you install Acrobat, it installs a DLL file and registers a COM component that can be used to extract information from a PDF file. Without this, File Explorer would only be able to display generic file information about the PDF file, and the search indexer would have no way of reading the contents of the PDF file to index it. So File Explorer can tell you who the author of a Word document is and when the search indexer is able to index the contents of a Word document, that's all because of something similar installed with Office to handle these types of documents.

A LOT of programs install and register these sorts of components, and so it's likely that some program installed some sort of buggy file-type-info component that, when used by the search indexer to read information about a file, causes it to crash.

2) No idea about this one.

3) Reliability analysis is handed by the RAC task. Check that task in the task scheduler. Is it enabled? Did it run properly? Were there any errors the last time it tried to run? Also, I remember a few months ago there was someone on the board who was claiming activation backup also involved backing up the RAC folder (the person obviously had no idea what RAC was and was completely wrong), but unfortunately a lot of people followed that advice, and it's possible that if you were messing around with the RAC data, you may have inadvertently corrupted it somehow.

5. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    LOL... good analogy that..but the latter maybe more like a straight-6 Beemer :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    After about 20 installations, so far so good.

Lievre

7. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Thanks for reply... :)

1) It was just after the clean install, no other applications were installed at that point (maybe Total Commander).

3) I checked the service among other things...
    I am using genuine license and I don't backup activation at all.
    I only concluded, that if reliability graph is viewed "to early" (like just after the installation) not only it displays the warning, but also it can be permanently damaged.
    In my case, there were no warnings just curve with 10 points and not a single issue (driver installation, Metro app upd, ...nothing).