time for a blackbook about microsofts update strategy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nodnar, Dec 13, 2015.

1. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    Many members here are customers, some are even paying customers, of the reknowned company of m$..if a person breaks into your house, that is not an act of friendship..in some countries where there is an abundance of guns around, you could be excused to shoot that person very dead. messy, a bit drastic, maybe, but the law is on your side..now when a company that you pay for providing software to run your pc with breaks into your harddisk that is no act of friendship either.. unfortunately you cannot shoot a company. Yet breaking into your harddisk is exactly what m$ does. When I merely implied as much in the chatbox, I was invited to substantiate my words. I suppose the preferred strategy was that of the ostrich; stick my head in the sand if I do not like what I see.
    But the fact remains that my head is still above the sand, and I do not like what I see at all..
    I saw such wisdom from members before,some of whom I suspected of being on the payroll
    of m$.. I would like to try to substantiate my words, if I was a programmer I could, maybe.
    Unfortunately I am not, and to spit through the code of the numerous kbs would take a lifetime.
    But I think it is time to start nice little blackbook about m$ by now. This is to make a start, just
    plucked from web, and I hope to see a lot of contributions.

Speaking to PC World, Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore explained that Windows 10 is constantly tracking how it operates and how you are using it and sending that information back to Microsoft by default. More importantly he also confirmed that, despite offering some options to turn elements of tracking off, core data collection simply cannot be stopped:
    “In the cases where we’ve not provided options, we feel that those things have to do with the health of the system,” he said.
    Microsoft has gone aggressive -- far too aggressive, say some -- in its push to get users onto Windows 10, including setting the upgrade to automatically download through Windows Update, and on some PCs, blocking all other updates from installing and offering only the choice of upgrading to the new OS or delaying the deal for 48 hours. Sources; forbes, and computerworld.
    While I am not the first to put it on the forum, it may serve as a reminder of m$ strategy, if it can be called that, for my fellow members who have not followed it all, could not be bothered to read the cesspool, unquote.that the w10 cesspool has become. It rankles, when members say in the chatbox
    that it is all unsubstantiated bs, unsubstantiated my foot. M$ pleads guilty , as you can see..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @nodnar: Perhaps a post in "Serious Discussion".
    Call it "The Microsoft Chronicles". And in that thread, All of the Antics could be documented (with sources).

Truth is truth. No matter how much you rationalize it, ignore it, and candy-coat it, it's still truth.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    One of the things you constantly hear by the Head in the Sand crowd, is that "I have nothing to hide" or "Facebook is worse" etc.

Somewhat lost in the Dust Bin of History are the McCarthy hearings. Where a senator accused over 200 people of being Communists and held hearings meant to destroy them.

Some links are here:
    http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1769.html
    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/mccarthy-army-hearings-begin
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army–McCarthy_hearings

So what does this have to do with Windows? Point your browser to https://ipleak.net/ and scroll down the page and see just how much information is available to each and every web site you visit. Then install a program like PeerBlock and see how many weird websites are accessed whenever you go to popular web sites. To say nothing of all of the pop-ups that infest your browser going to who knows where, if you don't have Adblock Plus installed.

It's not the "use" of the information, it's the "miss-use" of the information. For whatever reason should you ever be confronted with accusations that you were doing something wrong, by your spouse in a divorce proceeding, your employer, or the government.

What are you going to say. "I wasn't there", or "I didn't do that" or "I didn't know that" but they have the information and your IP address.

All the government has to do is to come up with a "Task Force" or a "War on ....fill in the blanks" and you might real sorry that you didn't bother to at least make some sort of effort to protect your privacy.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Unfortunately, by installing MS software, you agree to them doing exactly that by accepting Ts&Cs

You do not agree to a person breaking into your house

5. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    oh, i knew about senator mcCarthy... a witch hunt that destroyed peoples`lives in the fifties.. i never bothered with vpn, tor, etc, encryption, is is all leaky as a sieve and devours processor time. but i did not like this ipleak.net; they could land a cruise missile on my lappy and i would never know.. ;)