Time to build a new updated W7 iso.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by theredguy, Sep 9, 2016.

1. theredguy

theredguy MDL Novice

May 24, 2011
    Hi all.

It's been quite a while since I built an updated W7 iso so I'm currently downloading a fresh copy of the 32/64bit SP1 media refresh iso's and the newest simplix pack so I'm not stuck for ever waiting for loads of updates etc once installed.

I'm happy with the whole making an updated AIO iso with OEM stuff but am wanting to add as many drivers as I can this time to make it as universal as possible so am wondering what method or program people find the best for doing the driver integration and where they find the best driver packs, ISO size isn't really that important as it's going on a USB stick anyway but I want it to be able to accept any further updates in the future if possible rather than having to update the iso and then add drivers again after unless that would be ultimately the quickest method.

Many thanks.

:)

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    It will be a huge ISO. I suggest you only add boot critial drives such as AHC and perhaps lan.
    Also copy Anarethos recovery tool and also Multi OEM/Retail project by The Guardian.

Autounattend it as well, everything besides OOBE.

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Isn't that the truth! I finally settled on mine being a "Lite" version with SP1 and a tweaked Office 2003 I created several years ago. I created a "full blown" fully patched HUGE .iso but then every time Patch Tuesday rolled around I felt I had to do the whole thing all over again. That lead to optical disks being thrown away every month not to mention the recreation time just to include the latest updates.

Coupled with using WSUS Offline Update from within that "Lite" installation, the process is pretty simple. Windows 7 installation is very quick and WSUS OU runs, reboots several times and finishes all on its own. Then all I have to do is check for any late breaking updates and install my core set of preferred programs. I used to automate that process too, but then those programs became outdated.

4. theredguy

theredguy MDL Novice

May 24, 2011
    Thanks for the information guy's, but what method would be best to add the drivers?

Cheers

:)

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    [FONT=&amp]I used RT7Lite with great success but that was several years ago. It worked exactly as I wanted it too but it was a bit of a hassle to use. For me, the website’s help was horribly user unfriendly. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I’m sure others will recommend far better methods than RT7Lite; I think it’s basically defunct now anyway. [/FONT]

6. markokk888

markokk888 MDL Senior Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Well i wonder if its possible to burn iso on multiple dvd's since the build size is way over 4 GB.
    its possible to split it on two dvd's or more and get fully working installation and just swap disc's?

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #8 Enthousiast, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You could split the wim file into multiple swm files and use multiple cd/dvd's (a simple DISM command to realize it).

Code:
    Dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:x:\install.wim /SWMFile:y:\install.swm /FileSize:XXXX

XXXX = desired swm size (MB's)

Adding drivers also is a simple DISM command job, no need for any 3rd party tools.

Code:
    dism /image:"x:\mount" /Add-Driver /driver:"y:\Drivers" /recurse