Tiny7 - Windows 7 on one CD using only 145 MB of RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by peterpaulw, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You cant thats why all these vlite e.c.t modded versions a garbage always use full versions.

2. blueis300

blueis300 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    Bummer. Thanks, guess Ill reinstall a different version cause I need my printer.

3. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Just to say that this company that makes these releases are respectable and you can request from them to take out any windows component and they will do it.

4. jupp

jupp MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    #24 jupp, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    Slimmed down versions are not meant for the average users outta here! When you need your beloved wmp, mediacenter, sysrestore, whatever zillions of m$ crap.. then just eat that default cake m$ is serving for you and be happy with that! :) Thats why these mods are made for - to thrash all the useless (specifically for a modder!) s**t out. No point crying about someones elses mod is missing this and that.. just make a satisfactory compote for yourself if you feel need for it. No offence intended..

@EclipseSin

No problem m8 but i see no point. Just vlite what you need&like. To get image size down to <1GB many things needs to be deleted manually. Look for relevant posts @msfn and @retestrak. Experienced ppl have posted some batch files to automatize that process a little bit. ;)

5. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    #25 EclipseSin, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009

That was totally useless. You could have gave me some links...

As for network support (LAN, internet works fine)... Open up services in administrative tools, located in side Control Panel. (Or Winkey+R and type services.msc then hit enter)

Turn on the following.

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Security Accounts Manager

Server

Workstation

Computer Browser

And for printers (untested):

Print Spooler

6. blubberbirne

blubberbirne MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I installed it on my Netbook. After install i ad German Language.

Taskmanager says Win7 is used 545mb!

But its really fast :eek:

7. moesasin

moesasin MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    #27 moesasin, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. sxshaffer

sxshaffer MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    There will not be a 64-bit version of Tiny7. Several reasons:

1. The x64 version of Windows 7 is massive. It occupies approx 11GB after installation. Making it 'tiny' is not possible.
    2. Win7 x64 requires twice the RAM of the x32 version, so it would still require the PC to have decent components.
    3. Games don't work on it. Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. They just don't work so making a 'tiny' Win7 x64 would be pointless, seeing as how there would be no benefit of playing games on the slim-n-quick OS.

Basically, there won't be a 64-bit version of Tiny7 because of compatibility issues, size and feasibility.

As for the 32-bit version, it does fit on one CD and it does run quite nice. Very fast boot time and operation. Programs startup almost instantly. vLite was not used to create the installation disc. Some hacking techniques were used to manually remove components (as stated above) and vLite was used as the basis for the idea, but vLite was not used in the actual creation. The same technology used in the program RVM Integrator was used to compact the CAB files on the ISO image so that the slim 7 could fit on a CD (700MB). RVM Integrator was not used, a manual method was performed for that particular step.

9. fishoil

fishoil MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    To each his own, I personally would not touch this

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Visor1

Visor1 MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    Tiny 7 does run very nicely. I ran it for about 6 months or so on a HP ze2000 laptop I adopted after the owner spilled coffee on it and fried the HD. 40 bucks later I had it up and running. Tiny 7 uses Hazar's loader (along with the blacklisted Lenovo key) so it got tagged as non genuine pretty early on. Running RemoveWAT and and Daz's loader took care of that easily enough. I never had any issues with it except several updates failed presumably because a number of services had been removed. The other reason I moved away from it was because it didn't have Windows Media Player and I never was happy with anything else I tried for a substitute. Now I just have to invest in some more memory to handle the extra load from all the services running.

It really is cool for running on an older machine that can't handle the full OS very well. I was hoping eXperience would release another revision now that the OS is fully released.

11. sxshaffer

sxshaffer MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    If you look on the forum at eXPerience's site you will see a thread (can't remember which section but it's a Windows 7 sub-forum) that lists the bad Windows Updates. You should pick and choose when installing the updates. I patched Tiny7 right after install using RemoveWAT and Daz's loader, to avoid future issues.

There is also a thread in eXPerience's LAB section of the forum. It tells you how to add components that have been removed.

12. Visor1

Visor1 MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    That's interesting news. Can you point me to his site? Google's not giving me any help.

Thanks!

13. sxshaffer

sxshaffer MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    I can't post URLs because my post count is less than 20. I'll cheat a little tho... www[dot]retestrak[dot]nl and navigate to the forum. Under the header Tech, you will see a section called Software Discussion and a subforum called Windows 7. The thread is sticky'd and called The List: Known Windows 7 "bad" updates

14. Visor1

Visor1 MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    Thanks! (again)

15. sxshaffer

sxshaffer MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    I take back part of what I said in my first reply. I had mentioned that vLite was not used in the creation of the OS. I was correct because I was referring to the original build of the OS (Tiny7) but as I looked into it a bit further, Rev01 had adjustments made and eXPerience used vLite for part of the compilation. Here is what he had to say in the NFO (I trimmed this down to just the necessary information that relates to the point I am trying to make)

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Closing this thread these type of preactivated cd/dvd are not supported on this forum. And also rules changed a while back no more versions of windows 7 disks are allowed.