TIP: Pin Saved Files to the Start Menu in Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tempest790, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Tempest790

Tempest790 MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    I wasn't sure if anyone covered this, but I haven't seen it anywhere else either. It's possible to pin actual saved files to the Start Menu like Word documents and Excel spreadsheets (or anything else for that matter) as well as programs. I use this on my Windows 8 at work.

For example my Microsoft Excel file shortcut will be like follows:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE" "D:\Users\User Name\Your File Name.xlsx"
    Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15"

I usually set the Start In to the MS Office Folder or the File location folder, it doesn't seem to affect it either way. I created a folder in my username called Shortcuts and put all of them in there. Because Windows sees this as an executable program it will allow you to right click it and to pin it to the Start Menu even though it actually starts the saved file you need. I use this for my Access database files too. As long as you set the correct path to the file name, it works every time. You can name the shortcut whatever name you need as well.

Anyway, I thought I'd share it since it makes a great time saver being able to launch your most frequently used files straight from the Start Menu in Windows 8 rather than having to launch the program and then trying to open the saved file.