[TIP] Windows 7 UEFI install without CSM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by °ツ, May 6, 2019.

1. josywong

josywong MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2014
    tested on MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon. without CSM, without secure boot.
    gpt, 100mb efi fat32, 7x64 home premium

Code:
    Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\vga]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\VgaSave]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

this is the only thing i changed. did not test without.
    the only "issue" is the mass storage driver. even with 2.5" ssd, it seems to load slower.

2. chumacher

chumacher MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2019
    #22 chumacher, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  3. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    I tried this way and the bcd options way and its not working. I also tried the vgashim method without success on an acer w700 tablet. Windows 10, mac osx 10.11 el capitan, unbuntu 16.04, and android x86 8.0.1 is all installed in uefi and working beautifully. I patched that dsdt and ssdt files as well as applehda for hdmi audio out as well as general audio working so im not a noob to uefi or coding etc.
    Im running /trying to run windows 7 x64 sp1 enterprise. This version of windows 7 will work in mbr/bios mode btw so i know it works on the hardware. I checked the dev id and matched it up to the id in the intel hd 4000 graphics driver inf file for the driver i installed using dism so that shouldn't be an issue either. The windows 7 install was cloned from another drive that I've used on several other intel based laptops and desktops. Ive uninstalled most 3rd party drivers that were part of the clone from other hardware. Never had an issue with copying the clone to any other machine before. The only thing that ever happens is it loads whatever drivers it needs. Since the only thing holding this up is the video driver it should be like every other cloned install since i injected the video drivers already. Any ideas?

4. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    #25 LittlePro, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Every Win 7 SP1 x64 version will work on MBR /BIOS as well as GPT/ UEFI on 99.98% machines.
    If motherboard supports MBR /BIOS & UEFI/GPT, it probably has CSM to run win 7 under GPT/ UEFI.

Thanks. ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    #26 polygaryd, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    I know this already. Obviously the reason im trying to get this to boot in uefi on this acer w700 in uefi and having issues is that it doesnt support csm in any form. This is weird because it does support legacy but not uefi with csm. The bios is very simple even though it says choose dual type, uefi type, or legacy type in the boot type description, there is no dual type in the drop down box. There is only legacy or only uefi. If you choose uefi then Windows 7 will not boot but windows 10, ubuntu, mac and android will, if you choose legacy nothing will boot because the msata "drive" is in gpt not mbr. So i am stuck with trying to boot windows 7 in pure uefi mode. I could delete all the other os'es on the drive and change it to mbr just for windows 7 but this is unacceptable, As it took months to code everything for os-x to work properly on the acer w700. It also takes me an entire work day to setup 1 os with all my programs and customizations hence why I clone vs install new whenever possible.

Windows 7 has its own efi partition separate from windows 10, mac/clover, ubuntu, and Android so it doesnt get all messed up. To test windows 7 I just mount the first efi partition with all the other os'es and rename the efi folder as well as change the id type with diskpart for both efi partitions. I change the multiple os efi partition id type to one character off what it was and make the windows 7 efi partition id type the efi system partition id. This works perfectly to make sure nothing is inhibiting windows 7 efi partition and booting straight from the win 7 boot menu vs chainloading after clover if i dont rename the folders and change the id types of the partitions. Changing the partition id types also works on other systems i have the same setup on to reinstall windows 10 or windows 7 without installing over the others efi files etc. I have this 5 os mutiboot fully functional on a rog g75vw, g750jw, a dell venue pro 11 7130 and a 4 os version minus osx on a dell p25t. So i know my efi partition method works well in every way i described above.

So your response wasnt giving me any ideas as to why any of the win 7 booting in pure uefi methods arnt working and for some reason you thanked me? I ask again any ideas as to why none of the methods described here work?

6. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
    I appreciate your understanding & geeky. I believe the things here should work & leave it to OP & others.

P.S. Still I feel you have CSM. If you feel like further exploring CSM, Make a separate thread as it is out of the scope of this thread.

Thanks. ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    So i can do all this tricky dual efi partitions and have a very good understanding of partition id types as well as patching dsdt files and kexts for hackintoshing yet can't find csm in a uefi firmware /bios with severely limited options??? Doesn't add up to me. Believe me when i say i have the newest bios revision and there is no csm to be found. Choices are uefi only with secure boot enable /disable or legacy. That is all. I can't even add in more uefi os bootloaders like most uefi bios setups. The bios doesn't see the ubuntu Android, clover, or second Microsoft efi partition boot loaders and i can't add them manually is what i mean. This uefi bios is terribly limited.

8. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
  9. driver1998

driver1998 MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2013
    I now have a fork of VgaShim that solves a few issues:
    - Failed to detect GOP graphics card and therefore not working on some machines. "No display adapter found" during VgaShim start
    - The screen display garbled when Windows 7 boot (when in PE / graphics driver not installed)

Hope it can help somebody out here.
    github.com > driver1998 > VgaShim

download v0.98.1 from the releases.

10. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    I will try the fork of vgashim 0.98.1 you posted. you just put the efi file in place of the bootmgfw.efi correct?

11. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    github.com > driver1998 > VgaShim = github.com/driver1998/vgashim then on the right side of the page maybe halfway down it says download

12. The Freeman

The Freeman MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2018
    How to use VgaShim to be able to to install W7 on UEFI 3 computers?
    The tool is there but there is no manual for it.
    Please can somebody provide some guidance?
    It feels like we are one step closer to running W7 on UEFI 3 computers.
    It feels like it will rain in the desert soon...

13. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Read the previous page. It's not like you have to read 10 of them...

14. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    #36 polygaryd, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    New fork from driver1998 doesn't come with any bitmaps. Use the one from vgashim v0.97? I have yet to get this work and havent tried driver1998's version so thats why I'm asking questions just so i know when i do go to try it.

15. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    #37 polygaryd, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    So I tried a fresh win 7 enterprise x64 usb created from an original iso with usb 3 drivers added via dism and then used rufus to create a bootable usb drive. the usb boots and hangs at the windows logo as expected. I swapped out the bootx64.efi for vgashim.efi from driver1998 and vgashim.bmp from the original 0.97 version in the efi/boot folder. i extracted the bootmgfw.efi from windows 7 install.wim file and put it in the efi/microsoft folder. and this is what i get

UefiMain : Unable to claim IVT area at 0000 (error : not found)
    UefiMain : INT10h IVT entry could not be modified and currently poiting
    UefiMain : at wrong memory area (0000:0000 instead of c000:0200)
    UefiMain : Press any key to try again

and then it says it cant find microsoft boot menu and boots off the msata (internal ssd of the iconia w700 tablet)

I am aware that the word poiting above is spelled wrong as I believe its supposed to say "pointing" but it is spelled wrong on the error screen as well. so the programmer could fix that as well.

16. polygaryd

polygaryd MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2016
    how do you edit the registry and bcd on the usb install drive? i know how to do it on a non live windows install but i cant seem to find the files to load the hive from the usb drive and same with the bcd boot menu. any help would be appreciated.

17. BOBIN CHACKO

BOBIN CHACKO MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2020
    Hi I've tried this method but not successfull ... it boots with a black screen that's it...but i tried with flash boot it works but i am not getting proper screen resolution ,,.. it is limited 1024x768 :)

18. Childs

Childs MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2020
    I think I'm just gonna sell my Acer Aspire machine. There's no way I'm gonna accept Windows 10 in my life.
    I don't understand half the things said here and having to see my machine stuck at the "Starting Windows" screen is painful enough. Right now I'm thinking which is easier? I think I'll settle for a machine that actually has CSM or legacy for now, but my decision is not final. I'll still try the advice in this thread, but in not optimistic-