Tips on VirtualBox?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Amanda_L, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Amanda_L

Amanda_L MDL Junior Member

Feb 9, 2013
    I heard you can have almost the same performance on Vbox as you have on your PC, is this true? I remember my systems were always slow, but I don't thinks this is VBox's fault LOL

Are there tips on how to improve performance?

Regards

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Leave more memory and cpu to your host. Save the VM to another drive other than your hosts system drive, preferably a drive that is at least 7200 RPM. The thing with a guest consuming too much from the host is, the host gets dogged down trying to give the guest what it is set to. For example, if your host has 8gb ram, 3.4ghz 4 core CPU. Give the guest no more than 2gb ram and no more than 2 cores, you actually might get more from 1 core. Enable hardware acceleration in the guest even if it isn't supporting it, sometimes that will actually improve performance. The host and guest should run relatively well.

Other than off the top of my head thoughts, get better/more host hardware that can take the demands of the guest(s).

NOTE: do not run vista as a guest or host! haha

3. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Make sure the hardware virtualization capabilities of your physical (host) CPU are enabled in the BIOS or EFI. Install the correct version of VirtualBox Guest Additions in the guest (this can make a big impact on performance).