Tips to get faster Windows 7 Boot Time

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Matrix Leader, Jul 22, 2010.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #21 acyuta, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
    Two pro defrag solutions seems a bit of an excess. I have O&O and Perfect Disk Pro 11 (based on Matrix.. advice). Adding Diskeeper (which I have) would mean uninstalling one of them. One observation about Perfect Disk 11. The boottime function seems good and extra from O&O. However, also one difference that I saw: let Perfect Disk 11 defragment a 1 TB movie iso partition thru the night. Before free space was 231 GB, after defragging 31 GB!!!. What is the error here, in windows reading free space or something else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Hey guys, I just found that if you set all the "Wait to" variables to "0" like Matrix Leader you may have minor issues with the Aero theme. If you did this already set all the settings to "8000 MS" instead of "0" and you will be good. Just wanted to let everyone know. If you use either the basic or the classic theme then you should be all good but the program advises you not to set it lower then 1/3 of the max.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #23 acyuta, Jul 23, 2010
  4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    #24 sam3971, Jul 23, 2010
  5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #25 acyuta, Jul 23, 2010
    Actually it is 1000 or 2000. 0 is of course the min unless windows can take negative entries. I know enterprise and pro by default have 20000. The site says 2000 but that is not the end word so to say. I cut it down to 500 and at shutdown, I get a force shutdown for a blink and then windows shuts down. 8000 seems too much to me. I am referring to the below two entries

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control, WaitToKillServiceTimeout
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop WaitToKillAppTimeout (this entry may or may not be there and may have to be created).

It also happens that sometimes one of the entries is not there by default and one has to create it. Basically in 2 mths of usage, I have found 500 to be quite good with the thought that a lower value would also be safe (windows club tweaker changes both to 0 and you can check on that).

6. rupsd

rupsd MDL Senior Member

May 27, 2010
    my celeron based machine boots in 55 sec

7. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Two things you should always do before defragging!

First is to run (can be typed like this in the start menu). Make sure you leave enough time before pressing enter for sfc to show in the searched area:
    sfc /scannow

This is just good practice, and if you haven't done it before you will probably find errors!

Second is to run chkdsk /f over it (may need to reboot)!

Never do a defrag without doing chkdsk first. A defrag won't run on a drive marked as 'dirty' (errors present, set to run chkdsk at system boot), but a drive can only be labelled as dirty if the error is found!

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Is this applicable on a new (first time) defrag. What about constant defrags like done by paid softwares.

9. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Thanks for the Quicksys RegDefrag....found my bootup time decrease by another 1 to 2 second.
    Not much but every bits helps!

As for Defrag program...found that PerfectDisk is better follow by Diskeeper and then OO Defrag using boot time as a guide. This are the only 3 paid soft I had tested.
    Just my 2 cents worth of testing though.

10. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    I know this is what the program recommends but I have set it to 0 for a long time now and never encountered a single problem....mind you....I have AERO enabled so it's up to you to choose what setting you wish...I just wanna squeeze every bit of performance on boot time and its running fine

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #31 acyuta, Jul 23, 2010
    Thanks a lot MatrixLeader. From my earlier late 60s/70s, I got a 55 sec restart time after using Perfect Disk 11 with bootime defrag and some of your tweaks. Remember times vary and could vary if the 4 windows on start take a longer time to come together. However, that is only sometime and I am not diasbling those too. I am not into a speed race but lower restart times do help when registry is defragged or something requires a restart (which is 2-3 times in a day). The bigger advantage is in better system performance that saves more time during a day than the 10-15 sec advantage per 2-3 per day restart.

Now you should tell me about a good uninstaller apart from system imaging restore. Revo Pro perhaps?? with advanced uninstall.

12. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    youre welcome ;)

13. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I know dude, I liked having it set to 0, I was just reporting so if anyone had a similar issue they can be like, "Hey, he had the same issue, maybe try changing the settings he changed it fix it!" lol.

14. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I had the problem too, so maybe it's a specific configuration/PC issue. I'm on a netbook, so maybe it's a horspower or driver specific issue, but setting it back as suggested solved the problem 100%. It was like screen flickering, and very annoying.

15. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    #35 OldMX, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    These are my tweaks, copy / pasta into a .txt, then save as .reg and doubleclick to import.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
    "NtfsDisableCompression"=dword:00000001
    "NtfsDisableEncryption"=dword:00000001
    "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001
    "NtfsMemoryUsage"=dword:00000002

16. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    bump to the top

17. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    bump to the top

18. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Why are you bumping? If nobody reacts it might be not all that interesting to others ;)

19. lordvj

lordvj MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2010
    Here's something that will surely cut your boot-time to half. Apart from disabling startup items from msconfig and services,

1 - Disable unnecessary tasks in the task scheduler
    2 - Disable startup event traces by going into - Computer Management - Performance - Event Trace Sessions and Startup Event Trace Sessions
    3 - Disable unnecessary drivers , get this app - serviwin - nirsoft.net/utils/serviwin.html

Loadup the system drivers section and disable the ones you dont need . for example amdxata.sys is started even if you're on an intel system . And there are several networking drivers you could disable.

20. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Just a question. You guys recommendation is to Disable NTFS Last Access Update. Shouldn't this be left enabled for programs that use this info; like Diskeeper? I am only making assumptions from program descriptions that these programs use this info to rearrange files that are accessed often to the beginning of the drive.