Tips to get faster Windows 7 Boot Time

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Matrix Leader, Jul 22, 2010.

1. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    Leave that enabled.

Use msconfig to disable startup processes.

2. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I've already disabled most of them manually. Seems every time I try a tweaker, I end up reinstalling, LOL :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Are you saying to disable ALL event traces in Event Trace Sessions and Startup Event Trace Sessions?
    Which drivers do you recommend to put to manual ? other than amdxata.

4. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Little application (free) called autoruns is good for this kind of stuff.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    I always use Autoruns...its the best

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have a conservative approach to disabling. However, one thing that has made a perceptible difference is defrag. I have been using Perfect Disk Pro 11 (based on MatrixLeader's reco), and with constant patrolling and occassional boottime defrag, my restart time has gone down substantially from ~70-80 secs to 60-65 secs on most occassions when tested. Yesterday, I hit a new record of 54 secs with the same config. No unneccesary disabling.

7. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    I told you guys Perfect Disk 11 FTW :D

8. tuyen

tuyen MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    #48 tuyen, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
    70-80 second boot times?
    My god...how much junk do you have on your drive?
    A standard (uncluttered) system should boot to the Windows 7 desktop in less than 30 seconds. A trimmed system (with unnecessary services disabled) should be up and running in 15-20 seconds at the most.

If you're up in the 50-60 second range, then you've got way too many things loading at startup, and I'm willing to bet that most of it is completely unnecessary.

9. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    15 seconds? that's only on an SSD....unless you have some weird way of calculating the boot time...heh

10. (O)fer_cz

(O)fer_cz MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #50 (O)fer_cz, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
    if i will disable for exaple VM ware services and drivers, will they load automaticaly if i will wanna run VM ware or will it cause errors? or how should i set them?

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    15 secs or even 30 secs: is it a MS claim or based on real experience. I have been working on windows since 1994 and those timings seem to be in the realm of imagination.

12. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    20 seconds may be possible with an SSD drive but no where even close on a system with a HDD no matter what your system specs were

13. tuyen

tuyen MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    No, I'm not using an SSD, and no, I'm not doing any weird calculations.

I measure it in the standard way: starting the timer from when the "Starting Windows" logo first appears, and stopping the timer when I see my desktop icons and I'm able do something.

I just checked it about two minutes ago, and my boot time into Windows 7 was 22 seconds, and that included about two seconds that it took for me to type my 12-character login password. If I would set it up to automatically log me in, I would get the boot time down to 20 seconds.

I skipped Vista because it was such utter garbage, which means I was on XP for 10 years, and with XP my boot time was about 12 seconds on average. So right now with 22 seconds, I'm still trying to get used to it, because I'm not used to such long boot times.

The key to fast boot times can be summed up in three basic points:

1) your Windows partition should be the primary partition, and should only be as big as the O/S requires, and not bigger (mine is 20 GB)

2) the O/S partition should always be kept in a defragmented state (once or twice per week is fine)

3) you shouldn't have any unnecessary garbage being loaded from your Startup folder, or from the Run keys in the HKLM and HKCU hives of your registry

If you follow those three rules, I guarantee you will cut your boot times in half.

14. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
  15. tuyen

tuyen MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    If I knew I would be having this discussion with some clueless 15-year-old kid, I wouldn't have wasted my time.
    But just for the record, you have absolutely no concept of what you're talking about. A bootup is exactly as it sounds -- the BOOTING of your operating system. Why the hell would you measure your boot time by including your SHUT DOWN time? :rolleyes: And on top of that, you're including your BIOS POST, which will be different for every motherboard, for every BIOS version, for every hardware configuration. What idiot told you that that's the proper way of doing it? If you're going to include your shut down time as part of your startup time, then why not include the time it takes you to brush your teeth or scratch your ass?

Go into any major hardware forum where experienced hardware people hang out, and you'll quickly learn a few things, including how to properly measure your Windows startup time. Try telling anyone that you measure your Windows startup time by including your shutdown time and your BIOS POST time, and you'll be laughed right out of the forums, and probably get banned for being an utter retard.

16. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    There's a special program that we use called reboot time.vbs

You keep living in your dream world of having a 22 second boot time. Cheating is nice :D

But just to comment on what you said, as in why would anyone include their shutdown / BIOS POST time in the process.

It is very simply! When you hit the restart button on your PC / Notebook, it is the time you have to wait till you see your Windows screen again!

I dont care to measure from after POST or whatever you're saying, at the end of the day, when you press RESTART, you have to wait a certain amount of time!

Go figure! :rolleyes:

17. _Spee_

_Spee_ MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Interesting thread, thanks.
    Cheers ;)

18. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    You're most welcome :)

19. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
  20. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    I am getting a 48 seconds reboot time after running another boot time defragmentation pass with Perfect Disk :)