Tired of automatic updates in Windows 10? Here is the easiest solution you need!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by arifkarim, Jul 30, 2015.

1. XxBrazilianoxX

XxBrazilianoxX MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Did you try it on Pro (is that your own photo)?

2. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

There is no possible way to turn off completely anything regarding Windows 10 Updates you can only delay them for a few hours or a day

Its part of the Windows 10 Beast and its what it is, unless you want to screw your system up go for it through Windows Registry and keep in mind your on your own at that point and No tech at M$ will help you at this stage.

Get used to it, It Is What It Is.

3. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    #43 bjf2000, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    I didn't try that, but I did try setting it on Disabled, which on my Enterprise means that the Settings/WU UI will be grayed out and show "Never check for updates." It allows you to check manually and really does stop AUs.

On Pro, however, the same setting in gpedit.msc seems to have no effect, even after reboot. The Settings/WU UI looks the same as always.

Update: It does work if you give it time. Even given a reboot, the Settings/UI will not change right away to show that updates are "never" checked. I looked at it a half hour later and it had.

4. Audiophile1178

Audiophile1178 MDL Novice

May 26, 2008
    Don't give out incorrect info. If you're on enterprise you CAN disable automatic updates. I did it and now under advanced options in windows update it says "Never Check For Updates (Not Recommended)" under choose how updates are installed. To do this go to:

How I did to disable automatic updates on Enterprise and Pro when using ethernet.

1. Open Group Policy (gpedit.msc)
    2. Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates
    3. Tick Disabled.
    4. Done!

Also, if I go to services and scroll all the way down to Windows Update service it states that the service is set to manual and is stopped but will start running if I go to settings > update and security to check for windows updates.

If you want to permanently stop windows update for good then stopping the service and setting it to disabled kills it completely.

5. XxBrazilianoxX

XxBrazilianoxX MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Just tried that on Pro and doesn't work. Maybe because I am on Wi-Fi

6. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Nice you just save the world and everyone and everything is safe and fine and dandy :clap: yay

Hey Mister Expert how will your very fine save the word stop M$ Windows 10 Updates do when Wave 2 and Wave 3 Updates get dropped in the pipe Wave 2 is on its way in a week or two in Aug 2015 is you deal going to stop these updates??? please be very clear (I like to personally know)

By the way thanks for saving the world today :clap:

lol

7. compgen_1534

compgen_1534 MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2015
    You're gonna need LTSB or just shut down the update service completely.

Wait. Maybe we can hide it with the show/hide tool :confused:

8. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

No chance its all integrated with-in your new CFMN unless you want to uninstall that sounds good to me :eek:

9. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Thanks, /force did it for me on Pro.

10. MikeMSDN

MikeMSDN MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    Works on Core (Home)?