To anyone who successfully installed Windows 8 RTM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mydigitallifeforum, Oct 28, 2012.

1. mydigitallifeforum

mydigitallifeforum MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Hi,

To my understanding, some of you have successfully installed & activated Windows 8 RTM. My question is, were you able to keep your old Windows 7 settings and applications running?

I'm currently running Windows 7 Home Premium. I downloaded Windows 8 RTM from Pirate Bay. I'm debating whether it worth risking losing my Windows 7 settings and applications, by installing Windows 8 RTM.

2. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm guessing you're pretty new to the whole OS scene, or possibly just completely disinterested in the technicalities behind it, but nobody's really bothered with Upgrade installs since... well, ever really. When you're making such a significant change on your system, it's better to just wipe it and start from scratch.

It far less time - in the long run - to just re-install your applications on a clean install, than it does to sort out the potential issues caused by an upgrade. Plus, in the 2000/XP/Vista era, an upgrade install would leave behind copious amounts of the "crap" which contributed to system slow-down over the weeks/months/years. As far as I know, the upgrade process to 8 is somewhat more refined, and only migrates the bare minimum, but I still wouldn't bother with it.

You're far better off sticking all your data in a separate folder, separate partition, or external drive, and doing a clean install. If you can get your data OFF your drive, do a reformat; if not, just do a "Keep Nothing" install and then remove the Windows.old folder once you're up and running. And in the long-term, look into partitioning to keep your OS and your data separate; that way, if something goes wrong, you can wipe and re-install in a matter of minutes instead of having to faff around trying to save your data :)

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Due to repeatedly reported issues with uprdates from earlier versions, i would recommend the above mentioned clean install. Did it myself this way. Running Win 7 parallel in dual-boot.
    Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Zeblade

Zeblade MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    You know I did the $14 and upgraded Win7 to Win8 pro. All worked PERFECT for me. But I wanted to see if I could install fresh no upgrade. I burned the ISO before it installed. Did a fresh install it asked for the key... after install was already activated. What I am using now. Still some older silly programs that will not work in Win 8 that I use so I have win7 on another drive.

5. danmed

danmed MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    Whilst i agree that the clean install path is normally better, i upgraded my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit to 8 professional 64 bit and everything was working fine.

All my games still work, it removed Security Essentials before it started.. my desktop looks exactly as i left it too.

No problems for me.

6. sukinsin88

sukinsin88 MDL Addicted

Oct 17, 2012
    #6 sukinsin88, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    :cool:normal boot and after will be first resart open dvd rom and put off DVD!!! now wait for installing...