Too much lagg on windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Armp0wr, Apr 3, 2010.

1. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    i used to use it .. but i remember it was not as polished ..
    at the time.. they had just released the Windows 7 version..
    so there wasn't many features ...

i haven't touched it since.. so im unaware of the progress..
    but from your input.. i see they have improved ?

F.Y.I
    You know how some registry programs actually delete vital keys causing problems and poor performance? does Windows 7 Manager do that ?

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Why not use System Mechanic Pro? In my opinion it is better the Windows 7 Manager and TuneUp 2010! Windows7 Manager really messed my system up too in the past with version 1.9. TuneUp 2010 is pretty good but I still prefer System Mechanic Pro 9.5. Now back to the thread subject. Just look around to see what you can dig up. Maybe try removing NIS 2010 and see if that helps and how much it helps you out. If you want it fixed fast though then just reinstall win7. I would still look around though first before reinstalling cause that can take a long time depending on what you have installed currently.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It did for me lol. It actually created a security vulnerobility in my system that could allow someone to hack it easier. It deleted som vital firewall reg or something. Have not used it since then. BTW that was with version 1.9

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #24 timesurfer, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
    I know what you mean but I never had errors that I noticed. Your right it's not as polished ans it's kinda corny looking GUI but I guess I haven't had good success with others or haven't found torrent for tune up.

I did hear a recent version did suck. It's in a thread here if you search. I have a torrent of it if you want to test it...lol Let me know through pm

@sam3971

I would be into trying System Mechanic Pro if you know of a good torrent. I always like learning of new stuff that is better than I have but I've had good luck with manager so far...lol

5. hvs

hvs MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Use Micro&oft Security Essentials.
    Its free, light & very effective. No cracks/hacks required.
    I use it for my desktop as well as lappy Acer5536 with 2 GB RAM.
    Consumes very less resources and you can actually see the difference in performance.
    NIS is a big bloat & a resource hog.

6. guyz92

guyz92 MDL Novice

May 1, 2009
    #26 guyz92, Apr 4, 2010
    Microsoft Securitu Essentials lags even more.

I have Install On my AMD Phenom II x4 940, 4GB DDR2 800MHz CL6, 500GB SATA 2.0

It lags very badly, when i open a folder full of BluRay video .m2ts, the harddisk loads very high.
    When i try to play a 1920x1080 H264 video, the video lags till stops playing. UVD 2.0 should not load any of the CPU for h.264.

When you try to right-click a .cab or any other file, CPU usage go to 100% on my Intel Pentium 4 3.2e with 2GB ram

After i uninstall MSE, i install back Bitdefender 2010 x64 with bug fix, opening folder full of bluRay videos will no longer lags, playing 1920x1080 h264 video no longer lags and use CPU as low as 5-8% @800MHz x4.

7. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

Aha
    So I just need to manually backup my stuff? and not that windows backup thingie and if I back-up is the chance big that I back-up a virus with it? And when I reinstalled my win7 wich anti-virus would you recommer me? and other things?

8. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    #28 Trinket, Apr 4, 2010
    Windows 7 Manager is quite a cool little app and its Registry Cleaner is very thorough -- although in Win 7 (they also have one for XP & Vista) it has been deleting some context menu items in "Open with", which is very annoying. I kind of quit using it after that. I actually found the Open Source "Little Registry Cleaner" to be safer and still thorough. TuneUp is cool too, but I never use anything but portable versions of that (if I use it at all) since I will not have some sort of background monitoring app installed on my PC, which TuneUp started doing somewhere along the way. TuneUp's registry cleaner is more thorough than CCleaner's (no suprise), but not very thorough at all. Actually, TuneUp Utilities annoys me more now then it pleases me. But yes, it looks nice ;)

I never use Security Essentials, nor Windows Defender, nor any of that stuff. I'd rather have COMODO Internet Security 4 installed than messing with some 'essential' MS software. I like MS's operating systems and office suites :)

To combat lag under Win 7 I set the display options to Performance (this is in "Advanced System Properties --> Advanced tab --> Settings") and then re-enable:

- aero peek
    - transparent glass
    - desktop composition
    - show thumbnails instead of icons
    - show windows content while dragging
    - smooth edges of screen fonts
    - use drop shadows for icon labels
    - use visual styles on windows and buttons

That in itself make the whole gui act faster. I then disable indexing (for search I use SearchEverything app), under hardware HDD options "Policies" I mark the "Turn off windows write-cache buffer". I disable restore. Under "Action Center" I unmark/disable ALL boxes, plus turn off UAC. I recommend sitting behind a router, and using either Windows firewall, or COMODO IS firewall which causes no lags -- performance sags a little if COMODO Defender & Anti-Virus is 'stateful', so tweak it as you like. COMODO IS lets you save your config, so easy upon OS reinstall. I usually set a bunch of Windows Services to manual (see 'Tweaking with Vishal' site for a safe list of services you can set to manual in Win7).

Reason I tweak the system like this is also that after doing this I make a "Master backup" which serves as my OS install base which I will restore from when my install gets botched. This way I'll always have a clean & pristine OS install that performs. Not sure if I missed anything :)

9. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

Well, Ok i'm planning to do a reinstall of win7 but how do I make a backup?

10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Download an untouched ISO from the repository sticky, reinstall windows (format the drive) and write on the blackboard 1001 times, "I will not download ISO's from torrent sites". Also, install a decent antivirus and remember the words from the blackboard, DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT FROM A TORRENT SITE. If you don't want to shell out the money just use a free antivirus. I use MSE, works good.

BTW, your norton doesn't even have to be infected with a virus to slow your system down, does a fine job of that as is from symantec.

11. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

yea OK but i need an dutch version of win7 otherwise it won't install i've tried it already with an english version

12. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    What won't install unless you use a Dutch version? You should be able to install ANY language on ANY system. Unless your iso was bad of course...

My recommendation is, NEVER use Symantec IS -- I'm not sure who's using it, but I would recommend against it. Please trust that that is based on experience over the years.

13. Yurbuh Tuggly

Yurbuh Tuggly MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I was of the same opinion. Norton/Symantec dropped the ball after the 2000 version. I know because I kept trying every new version and they got slower and worse. Rarely did they last on my systems for more than a day. But Norton 2009/2010 is an entirely different animal. Finally.

14. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

Hmm, What about the drivers? is windows going to install that automaticly or what :$

15. rjc862003

rjc862003 MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2009

your pc sucks end of story get a new one

16. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Wow.

Thats incredibly helpful.

Would you like to get such an answer if you had a problem with your machine?

17. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Whats funny is the RTM here is a pirate bay torrent...lol

18. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010