[TOOL] EzWindSLIC: Easily activate Windows 7/Vista/Server 2008-2022 on UEFI-GPT

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Deleted member 1435102, Apr 9, 2021.

?

Should I use powershell in this script to add more features? Vista will no longer be supported.

Poll closed May 7, 2021.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Chuterix

Chuterix MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2022
    the functionality is the same, but how the bootloader works is different
    windslic: an .efi file that loads bootmgfw.efi (windows boot manager) with a slic
    daz loader: grldr (grub4dos) that injects slic and then loads windows boot manager (boots windows)
    they can’t be used on opposite partition styles (daz loader can’t use gpt, windslic can’t use mbr)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Derek West

Derek West MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2022
    Has anyone figured out a way to make this work on Hyper-V on Windows 11? I'm having the same issue with Hyper-V on Server 2022. The bare metal install worked with no issues. It's only the Guest machines that fail to boot. If I boot from the virtual drive it starts up no problem but isn't activated. If I try and boot it from file "WindSLIC.efi" I get the same error as FreeStyler.

3. siliconbeaver

siliconbeaver MDL Member

Apr 29, 2022
    Thank you for the tips,
    it's critical. MBR vs. GPT.

I changed to MBR (and 32-bit this time). Activation passed using daz loader. Bingo!

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @siliconbeaver

ECS GF7100PVT-M3 is a pre-UEFI era motherboard, so you have to rely on MBR-styled partitioning (and Windows Loader by Daz, as a consequence) to boot Windows 7 on it.

5. siliconbeaver

siliconbeaver MDL Member

Apr 29, 2022
    Thank you, and @Chuterix
    you guys are so helpful.

After my 1st ECS mainboard, I did my 2nd ECS. both had been running XP. I thought I needed to do something before they expired. :D

When Windows 7 installed/activated successfully, I did upgrade them to Windows 11. but Windows 11 running terribly slow (in my opinion, only computer with SSD can go Window 10/11). I will try awhile. eventually seems Windows 7 fits them better, at DDR2 2GB to 4GB.

6. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ralf ralf

ralf ralf MDL Member

May 11, 2017
    Do you want me to read any information so that you have better information from my system!

8. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    it would probably be worth giving detailed system info

9. ralf ralf

ralf ralf MDL Member

May 11, 2017
    It is a HIGH-END laptop from Clevo.
    Chipset is Z370 / 9900KS / RTX3070 MXM card and so on.
    Is there a tool with which I should read info?

10. siliconbeaver

siliconbeaver MDL Member

Apr 29, 2022
    What's OS shipped with your high-end laptop? Windows 10 or 11? Pro/Home?
    If Windows 10/11, when you move back, need to select right OS it was.

my Asus zenbook was shipped with Windows 10 home.
    Later I downgraded/re-installed Windows 7 Pro, GPT format, activated by the ezwindslic tool. Awhile later when no need of Windows 7 anymore. I decided to upgrade to Windows 11.
    Windows upgrade brought with it to Windows 11 Pro. but whatever I tried, it couldn't be registered. Eventually I realized, it was "Home" than "Pro"

a clean-install fixed the problem. for my previous setup on Windows 7 Pro, it was a pain. Clean-install means previous settings all gone. It runs Windows 11 Home.

11. ralf ralf

ralf ralf MDL Member

May 11, 2017
    My laptop was originally designed for Windows 10. However, it can still be switched to CSM in the bios. It had actually bothered me for years never to have found a proper solution.
    Now I just use Flashboot Pro with updated updates (see Simplix Script), and you can use Windwos 7 UEFI GPT. Really ingenious. In addition, I can change graphics cards on my laptop.
    The latest generations RTX 20xx/Super and RTX30xx unfortunately run on CSM in an irritating graphics mode:)

I would also always advise against completely reinstalling the operating systems and not using any upgrade programs. This avoids errors and it is reproducible!

I would not recommend Windows 11.
    1. it is not yet mature.
    2. espionage will certainly be even worse with the system than with Windows 10.
    I'm glad to have an alternative there also currently.
    3. Windows 10 is the best from a gaming point of view.
    4. now that Windows 7 runs without problems on UEFI machines, I'm already thinking about switching from Windows 10. What keeps me is that for Windows 7 no current drivers are provided by Nvidia!

12. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    Unrelated, but why did Dir3ctr1x delete his account? I don’t understand.

13. siliconbeaver

siliconbeaver MDL Member

Apr 29, 2022
  14. siliconbeaver

siliconbeaver MDL Member

Apr 29, 2022
    I did run both over some ten Windows 7 computers. GPT and MBR.

my experience,
    • Win7Loader by Daz on MRB format, seems more reliable. so far 100% working.
    • in contrast, ezwindslic on GPT format, working on some PC, not working on some other PC. One of my HP test, 1st run was working. After reboot, activation got invalid. and re-run wouldn't work anymore. eventually, my activation was done after changed to MBR format (Indeed, HP offers a tool to activate on MBR format).

15. JacksMafia

JacksMafia MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2015
    hello guys noob here i duel boot win 10 and 7 and i did have my win 7 activated EzWindSLIC but due to hard drive swap i lost my activation now every time i try to activate win 7 EzWindSLIC is successfully install but but windows still says it needs to activate in the past i used to go to the bios and choose different boot manager but now it's gone didn't appear again
    any help ?
    thanks in advance

16. Thanks a lot for this most awesome server08 / 7 act tool . Pl cross check why it is showing two same OS entries in boot menu :)

17. xxhbdl

xxhbdl MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2015
    is it possible to replace the SLIC table with the MSDM one?
    Tnx

18. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    nope