Tool to create a "rollback" .reg file

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by budswell, Jan 7, 2011.

1. budswell

budswell MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2011
    Hi, I was wondering if there is a tool which can take one .reg file, then examine the registry to create a "rollback" .reg file.

i.e. If the key in the .reg file exists in the registry, the rollback file will reset it to the original value. If the key in the .reg file does not exist in the registry, the rollback file will have the "-" key to remove it. (this gets fiddly with parent "folders" etc).

Thanks

2. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    do you need to have a software to do that?
    I think all you need to do is go to the registry editor by typing regedit and click file>export

save the .reg file anywhere and if something goes wrong, you can alway s recover your registry by double clicking on the .reg file (merge the file)
    That's it.Your registry is restored

3. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    i think i misunderstood your post before. do you mean a software to restore your registry to the default value? (after you do a fresh install)

4. budswell

budswell MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2011
    #4 budswell, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    (OP)
    You understood correctly.
    Doing an export will do two thirds of the job:
    - it will reset any values which are overwritten by the .reg file
    - it will restore any keys which are removed by the .reg file
    But the third it will not do is:
    - remove any keys which are added by the .reg file

Edit: Also, the export way is a little heavy handed. If I export the entire registry, then when restoring it, any unrelated changes made by other processes would also be lost. And to do a selective export, I would need to read the original .reg to know what to export.

5. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    You can first delete all regkeys and values in the key you made a backup from, and then restore the backup

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. gtronix

gtronix MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2011
    the same way i do....