[TOOL] XP2ESD - Create modern Windows XP installer v1.6.2

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by George King, Jan 8, 2021.

1. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Upcoming update will be evolution as it brings automatic creation of integrated XP setup, then silently autoinstall into virtual box and also AutoSysprep using MyFactory and capturing.

It will be ready in few days. So be patient.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #42 George King, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    (OP)
    During writing code I found weird thing that I forgot from XP days. Windows XP Home doesn't support Administrator account!

But it doesn't matter, I managed to create glitch that can build it during setup at T13 stage before Syspreping.
    So as side effect this tool brings Administrator account into Windows XP Home and Home N.

EDIT: Also this user will be automatically loged. I don't know why on Home edition OOBE after sysprep cannot be created user. On professional is prompt for user creation at the end of OOBE. Maybe we can figure it later.

I succesfully tested "One-Click" Home edition build, from MSDN SP3 to integrated SP3+ turned into ESD! So new release should be during weekend as almost hardest part is done. Tool is going to be fully one click convertor to modern setup :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #43 George King, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    (OP)
  4. jiafei2427

jiafei2427 MDL Member

Nov 26, 2020
    waiting…

5. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #45 George King, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    (OP)
    Testing all changes that I made right now. Also multilanguage RES patching needs to be finished for w32uires, I have all needed files dowloaded.
    And I also working on rebuilding OnePiece packs to include all updates like USP4. This will be next step - and should be soon.

For now I can confirm AIO 6v1 "One-Click" build with DriverPacks support and also RunOnceEx dynamic setup folder too.

When I'm sure its ready, it will be posted. Also first post needs to be rewriten a lot due a lots of changes.

6. WindowsMyStyle

WindowsMyStyle MDL Member

May 2, 2018
    in my opinion:

1) Tests must be done on smooth Windows XP first
    2) the tests must also be done (and above all) on real PCs
    3) Real PC testing must include multiple configurations

Testing only on VBOX, only with moddate version is not the best
    however the OnePiece version can also be used for N, KN
    just extract everything, use "OnePiece_Update_Pack_WMP11_REMOVE" and re-compress everything.

it must also be said that the OnePiece version is only suitable for Windows XP Home / Pro and only if you don't want the PosReady Updates
    If one wants to use it on MCE, Tablet and PosReady several changes have to be made

however I await the new version and then I tested it on various PCs at my house ... until today nothing works! :)
    I asked "infuscomus" for his version but it disappeared :)

7. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #47 George King, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    (OP)
    Exactly all is true.

Doesn't matter to use remove WMP, much easier is remove WMPRollBack from sysoc.inf after integration to keep only one integration pack.
    PosReady / Embedded pack exist too. I have everything to build all of them. So no problem on this session. But this will be done after v1.3.

I'm sure Auto-Sysprep that is part of unreleased v1.3 will work on all HW sets.

And good to know, you can try it on real HW again! :)

EDIT: For MCE we can still use DXUPAC to integrate SP3 and then integrate UpdatePack :)

8. WindowsMyStyle

WindowsMyStyle MDL Member

May 2, 2018
    For MCE it is definitely better to use a Windows XP Pro SP3 + "OnePiece Pack" + "Ricks_XP_to_MCE05_AddOn"

9. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Yes, that brings cool Pro => MCE conversion. I have Ricks TCP 2005 addon too in Spanish, original English is lost in time.. I'm sure it can be recreated too, but these thing can come in future

10. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #50 George King, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    (OP)
    A huge update is out!

Updated to v1.3, first post rewritten a lot due bunch of changes / updates!

Code:
    17.01.2021 - v1.3 - Added automated integrated setup building with all updates until 05-2019 using nLite
                      - Added Auto-Sysprep mechanism using adapted MyFactory project
                      - Added Drivepacks handling
                      - Added setup.exe patching on the fly, no more prepatched file needed! Thanks to abbodi1406 for finding correct offset
                      - Added w32uires RES patch for all languages
                      - Updated RunOnceEx.cmd to fit new setup process
                      - Updated setup.cmd to support driverpacks copying to harddrive

11. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
  12. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #53 George King, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    (OP)
  13. trashe33

trashe33 MDL Member

May 8, 2016
    @George King also does this whole thing work on windows 7 host or do I need Windows 10 for the process? I am asking this because it throws an error about not being able to find captured.wim and install.wim

14. infuscomus

infuscomus MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2020
    #55 infuscomus, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    @George King

Do I still need to run sysprep on the XP VM with this new version?

edit:
    also, since you added the generic ahci and nvme drivers can you also look into adding the generic USB3 and extended ACPI driver for use with more modern hardware (post-2015 PCs)

15. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    You don't need to do it manualy, everything is prescripted, just provide ISOs, UpdatePacks, DriverPacks and have VirtualBox installed. I have updated first post a lot of with instructions. If it's not clear somewhere, let me know. I always hate writing long posts as English is not my native language...

I will include generic xHCI (USB3.x) driver in next release in driverpacks folder. Thats a good idea.

For ACPI patch, you can easily mount install.wim replace file, commit changes and run builder again, if there exist install.wim, only modern installer is build.

16. infuscomus

Apr 25, 2020
    @George King

I ran your new 1.3.1 Autosysprep.cmd script, the VM ran into an error - It could no longer find ntoskrnl.exe - so I had to quit out of VBox and it failed.

17. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
  18. infuscomus

Apr 25, 2020
    @George King

Solved it! your boot.ini is setup correctly, but the files it is referring to are not all present in system32, so you need to tell your setup script to copy the files across

you need

hal.dll
    halapic.dll
    halaacpi.dll
    halmacpi.dll
    halmps.dll
    halsp.dll
    ntkrnlmp.exe
    ntkrnlpa.exe
    ntkrpamp.exe
    ntoskrnl.exe

to all be present in system32 for your boot.ini to work as intended - you can find these inside SP3.CAB or DRIVER.CAB depending on your XP ISO.

19. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #60 George King, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    (OP)