[TOOL] XP2ESD - Create modern Windows XP installer v1.6.2

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by George King, Jan 8, 2021.

1. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    I put own themes and wallpapers in structured folders, they all can be applied manually after install.
    But how can i set another theme as default to be displayed right after installation?

2. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    I think it`s second line in "boot-wim.xml":

<Preset isAutoSaved="false" xmlns="urn:schemas-nliteos-com:pn.v1">

3. Chuterix

Chuterix MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2022
    #1903 Chuterix, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    i'm trying to test this program again but when it installs to virtualbox, the auto sysprep virtual machine doesn't even power on at all, so there were errors for the rest of the setup. i gave up after trying 2 times. any solution?
    yes i have virtualbox installed
    v1.6.2 extracted over v1.6.1
    also, why isn’t there a cleanup script in case builder gets interrupted/closed during process?
    edit: wait maybe because i have to start the script completely from admin, not let the auto UAC do it. i'm so stupid lol
    i'm now doing it as admin now so if i still get problems, something's definitely wrong
    edit: same problem

edit: forget it, svm (virtualization) mode was disabled in my uefi bios, because i loaded default settings. i'm so stupid and idiot lol
    now this shall work
    delete this post pls

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    #1904 Chuterix, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    child of post that needs to be deleted. do not reply
    EDIT: see edit of post 1903.
    i even tried with default settings and default isos, the aforementioned problem still happens
    even when running as admin

debugging:

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    with winxiso enabled and using windows 8.0 iso i could install windows xp to the t430. but the drivers didn't work good (sound driver doesn't work) and xp couldn't read the usb flash drive, so no programs installed. probably due to lack of usb/mass storage drivers. when i plugged in the usb flash drive to usb 2 ehci port, windows knows the drive's plugged in but has problems. then there was unsigned driver warnings on system drivers.
    so even though lenovo does support xp x86 drivers, the xp2esd installation was pretty bad unfortunately.
    looks like i'm gonna take away xp from the triple dual boot i'm thinking on planning, and wait until vista2esd comes and see :)
    also you know the samlab/driverpack latest xp graphics driverpack for intel ivy bridge graphics would cause completely black screen on xp after reboot? probably why there's custom gpu driverpack for windows xp :p

Attached Files:

6. TesterMachineOS

TesterMachineOS MDL Senior Member

Apr 20, 2021
    Windows 7 + Windows 8.0?
    because in my case it was different, it didn't start and I had to use Windows 8.1 + Windows 10 for it to recognize the install.wim...

7. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    for me, with winxiso i used ONLY a windows 8.0 pro vl x86 iso and the powis launcher showed up successfully
    even command prompt and recovery environment buttons (for windows 8.0) work

8. TesterMachineOS

TesterMachineOS MDL Senior Member

Apr 20, 2021
    So you used Windows 7 + Windows 8.0 and the WINXISO did you also use Windows 8.0? I ask so that I can do a test to see if I solve the problem and use the Windows 7 boot, which is more convenient for older PCs than Windows 8.1 + Windows 10, which is restricted by NX and PAE

9. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    #1909 Chuterix, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    i initially used 7 + 8.0 iso, but since powis launcher doesn't recognize the installation media (but it's there) i used 8.0 iso winxiso only
    if you uncomment (remove semi colon) the winxiso then it will use the windows 8.0 iso only
    Screenshot 2022-10-03 15-38-12_mod.png
    i’ve had issues with old almost 2 year old POWIS on a USB drive on every system tested and PMed george king about it, now I'm going to use XP2ESD v1.6.1 (i forgot to overwrite version) and see results

10. UsefulAGKHelper

UsefulAGKHelper MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2021
    @George King I know that XP vga.sys works to boot windows 7 from uefi class 3 using flashboot or uefiseven so I was wondering if you could do something to backport videoprt.sys and hal from 16497 to xp x64 with the scope of making the VGA.SYS driver work on winload (Legacy and uefi mode).
    If the backpprted files do work, then Xp will be able to boot from winload bcd using vga.sys/vgapnp.sys.
    Of course, if there are problems that prevent the 16497 videoprt or hal file from working on ntldr, feel free to patch the files from hex editor as needed.
    Obviously, this involves adding missing functions to ntoskrn8.sys.

11. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Currently I would like to add MSVCRT v7.0.6002.22755 (vistasp2_ldr.111214-0301) based on blackwingcat patch for x86 and x64.

12. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    George, can you tell me details about these errors? My goal is to install my own (windows-syspreped) "install.wim" with a functionally "boot.wim". I tried to copy my own "install.wim" in XP2ESD-folder, tried to copy "XP2ESD-boot.wim" into genuine folder - no effort. You said: "setup.exe" got to be modified - but i don`t know which one has got to be replaced. I like your project very much and i`m able to install XP_x86 and XP_x64 with your XP2ESD-project - thanks a lot for this! But i`m missing the chance to configure installed XP and deploy my own capture.

13. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #1913 George King, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    (OP)
    @g-force Can you tell me what exactly you need to customize in install.wim? Maybe its solution much easier than you think. I’m not recommending usage of your own captured image from various reasons.

14. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    @George King Thanks for your reply.
    I worked with nlite since 2004 (i was admin at "german-nlite.de"), so i`m used to the nlite-process with addons, settings and $OEM$. But it was always my goal to configure the installed OS and reseal it for deployment (like i do with Win7 and newer). Due to your project XP2ESD i reanimated my project "Reseal & Deploy XP". I`m able to deploy my own "install.wim" with WDS without any failure (like missing EULA or 0xC0000005 error). I`m using genuine "boot.wim" from Win7, Win8.1 and Win10 in WDS, it works like a charm. But my goal is to provide an ISO with modern setup (nobody has got an WDS at home).
    I really like XP2ESD, but there`s no chance for me to modify the installation (pre-installation of XP before sysprep). Maybe there`s a way to stop the XP2ESD process at this step, modify the OS, then start the script again (sysprep)?

15. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    @g-force Then I quess you have huge nLite addons collection archived?

I asked what you need to customize, as there more ways for advanced users. For example using your own previously nLited ISO as input with disabled nLite touch in config.ini.
    Thats why I need to know what exactly you want modify. Also there is a reson why there are no apps / drivers preinstalled in image before capturing. Mainly there is used MyFactory solution for drivers handling. Patched Longhorn NTLDR to provide really universal image which can detect automatically correct HAL a Kernel.

16. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    @George King Thanks for your reply.
    No, there are only a few addons left. But i`d like to set up the desktop theme, folder view and some programs and settings. Even if i configure some of these with nlite and use my own XP-ISO (with disabled nlite touch in config.ini) these settings are ignored or overwritten in the further process of XP2ESD. I think "My Factory" is the right way to sysprep the image, maybe i just misunderstand the whole process of XP2ESD.

17. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #1917 George King, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    (OP)
    @g-force Damn, I hope someone have archived a lot of them.. But nobody found these days..

Settings theme can be easily done in setup folder, just add needed REG file there. Programs can be installed from this folder too. Folder view is probably overwriten during capturing.
    Can you share exact nLite preset with mentioned settings?

Otherwise you can deploy image as is. Create registry Snapshot using RegistryChangesView, perform needed settings in system. Compare Snapshots export as REG and you are done :)
    Of course review and clean your REG using Notepad++, after that place it in setup folder :)

18. MilkChan

MilkChan MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2020
    I have prepared a few games and programs.
    For testing your patch, I'm just waiting for the patch.

@g-force
    I have reviewed the addon on the web that it is outdated like WMP11 and WMP10.
    And I have created a version for Server 2003 and x64.

I have improved the work of YumeYao and WMP10, One Piece (Port to Server 2003).

DirectX 9.0c XP2ESD is also available.

IE8 is available in UpdatePacks.
    C++ AIO has it too.

19. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    @MilkChan For XP x86 we can use prepatched blackwingcat's MSVCRT, for x64 I still need to find out how to fix import table. I'm waiting for blackwingcat help as I can't fit 37 char long name into 28 field. Maybe someone else know cheat how to do it?