Toshiba Satellite A200 2nd HDD is missing sATA connector, possible to add?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by johnye_pt, Mar 31, 2014.

1. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #1 johnye_pt, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Does this additional hardware appear in the BIOS setup? If it doesn't show up there, I'd doubt installing it would do any good.

3. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
  5. eye2eye

eye2eye MDL Novice

May 13, 2014
    I have the same mobo and Im having the same idea, to upgrade my sweatheart a little bit.
    Is there any progress yet?

6. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    I have the laptop dismantled because I'm waiting for a friend to take a look at the board and see if he can solve the random freezing when on AC power (there's a topic on another forum about this problem). If he fixes it, only then I'll try to find a sATA connector identical to the one already on the board and ask him to solder it in place. I'm pretty sure it will work has there are 2 HDD entries displayed in the BIOS.

Currently I'm gonna buy an SSD to use as my primary HDD in my current laptop and replace the DVD drive for a DVD caddy + original HDD. The DVD caddy is a piece of hardware with the same format as a DVD drive but you can insert a sATA HDD inside. I lose the DVD (which I rarely use) but I gain speed and space ;) And if the Toshiba gets repaired and the sATA connector works, I'll just place both HDDs in it!

7. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    Thanks! At least now I'm sure it works! If I manage to get the freezing problem solved, the sATA connector is next on my list!

For the VGA card, it seems there is a place on the board where a VGA connector should be, but it's also missing in the same manner as the sATA connector. That could mean that if one manages to find the right connector and solder it to the board, a VGA card could be added, and the board might use it and discard the integrated intel gpu. But that's a very remote possibility, because it must be practically impossible to find/buy the right connector, unless you dessolder it from a used board. Do Toshibas with a VGA card still have the intel gpu onboard? Will they still boot if the VGA card is removed?

8. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    i did it long ago. i dont remember a thing about the board. i could find the vga free slot on the mobo.

can you take a photo (high res) and upload the photo? i still dont think you can really and
    literally attach. but i know this much its an intel vga card. and yes you need to have these info first.
    how many balls the chip got and is the footprint same as other IC's viz. x1400.

because i got t60 with intel graphics card and ati x1300 and x1400 IC as well. and the dimensions
    and footprint are almost identical. i may be wrong. but please feel free to correct me when i do
    make mistakes.

but the again BGA reballing and soldering? aah, really complicated. its not like soic-8/16 pin IC
    replacement, this is a little way too complicated.

anyway i hope you figure out how to solve the freezing issue and then attach the sata connector.

thanks!
    -paul

9. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    these are 2 different boards in my opinion. but one thing is sure. you can/may
    add an additional graphics card. and good luck. the only 2 differences in these
    boards, visible to naked eye are
    1. flash chip in one its parallel and in another i couldnt locate the flash chip. i guess
    it must be serial viz spi-8
    2. one board got headers for graphics card and other got headers not populated for
    the addon graphics card

thanks!
    -paul

10. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
  11. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010