Toshiba Satellite Pro L350 BIOS Recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by acejavelin, Nov 9, 2012.

1. acejavelin

acejavelin MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    #1 acejavelin, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    I have read the entire "Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method" thread and found several ideas to fix recover this BIOS, but all seem to be failing.

I flashed the incorrect BIOS to this laptop, by force... I have a L350-S1001V (BIOS 1.50) and found a newer L350-S1701 BIOS (2.20) on the Toshiba website, tried to flash and it said it wasn't compatible, stupid me figured it was just trying to keep from flashing a foreign or "world-wide" BIOS so I issued the command "FLAs**t ps10220m.fd /ALL /MC" and it seemed to flash fine, but now will not boot.

So now I have the correct BIOS file and the proper BIOS recovery for Toshiba seems to be:

1) Rename BIOS file to BIOS.fd (per Andy's tool and other user experience)
    2) Copy to FAT32 formatted USB drive
    3) Remove battery and power
    4) Hold down FUNCTION+F
    5) Apply power wait a few seconds, then press Power Button, wait a couple seconds and release FUNCTION+F

and the Flash should start, but I get nothing. Power light comes on but will not do anything anything else. I have tried multiple key combinations (FUNCTION+ESC, WIN+B, Arrows, etc) with the same results.

So, did I brick it or am I missing something??? Kind of assuming since I flashed the wrong BIOS file with the /ALL parameter I might have hosed the boot block?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #2 LatinMcG, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    try FN + B or FN + X or FN + U
    and yes the filename is BIOS.fd

might have to do it in cd or floppy usb.. and possibly add flas**t.exe with autoexec.bat with blind flashing forced

however since u forced a new different bios id .. it might not take it. SPI USB flasher like EN25T80 might be only solution.. desolder chip.

3. acejavelin

acejavelin MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    OK, thank you...will give those options a try tonight. I did try the FN+B, but not X or U, and it didn't access the USB Flash drive. If it gets to a point I need to look at desoldering or spending much money, I will skip it, it's just not worth much, I will part it out and buy something used on eBay or Geeks.com for a couple hundred bucks.

4. acejavelin

acejavelin MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    I am seeing more and more references to the Toshiba with Insyde BIOS requiring a key combination of POWER+F to initiate recovery... can anyone elaborate on this a little more with details on the procedure, it doesn't seem to be the typical way a Insyde BIOS is recovered.

5. acejavelin

acejavelin MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, all efforts to recover this have failed, I cannot get the BIOS Recovery routine to even start and I have tried a USB Floppy, USB Flash Drive, and CD ROM, even an old hard drive with a 10MB bootable DOS partition setup to force flash the BIOS. I sat for several hours and tried every key combination I could come up with, and then some I just made up too.

Looks like it's buy one for parts on eBay and swap out, or I can get a new motherboard for $66 on Amazon but for a 5 year old laptop I am not sure it's worth it and just went back to my old HP Mobile Workstation nw8240 for now.

Thanks for the help!

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  7. acejavelin

acejavelin MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    #7 acejavelin, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    (OP)
    Thanks, I might do that... for about $20 total for the cable and programmer I guess it can't hurt. Sorry can't post a link, but I assume by EN25T80 you mean one of these eBay items: 260863545145 (just search number, it will pop right to the item I am looking at).

Realistically with a programmer (and a little assistance) I don't see how I can't recover this, I can't imagine the EEPROM is actually bad, and I have the proper BIOS.fd file, shouldn't I be able to just re-flash it with the programmer and be good to go?

Thanks again for your help!!!

8. acejavelin

acejavelin MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    Looks like I found someone who has the programmer and the clip cable I can borrow for a couple days soon so I don't have to order one from China... what software do I need to reflash the chip or do a capture of the existing ROM, or can you point me to a thread that has this information?

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    the software depends on programmer model. it should have an option to backup.

10. acejavelin

acejavelin MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    OK, sounds good. I will make sure I get the software with the unit... might be a week, but I will get back to you when I get to that point! Thanks!!!