Touch screen for desktop...a good thing?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by elementinsane, Jan 12, 2013.

1. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    With little children around that love to touch your screen just to touch it.... no :p

2. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    We got workers ... some with big oily hands ...

3. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    The benefits are that you pay more for a piece of kit than if you bought it in a normal desktop form factor :p Seriously,though - the only positive side is that they've got a smaller physical footprint,but that comes at a 'painful' cost - low(if any) upgradability and that too many AIOs use laptop hardware as opposed to normal desktop stuff. My personal advice is to go for a full desktop - one with similar specs (even if you don't build it yourself) will be cheaper than an AIO unit - plus if you decide to,you could upgrade it down the line with a newer video card,more RAM,etc.

4. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Thanks a lot. So from one confusion comes another ...which brand of AIO to pick?? I have a bad experience with Del so I am going to leave it for my enemies...:p but Acer and Lenovo are top on my list...

5. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Acer is pure garbage, almost as worse as Dell. I would recommend Lenovo or HP. I have never had bad experiences with the HP laptops and desktops I have ever owned. A+ products man.

6. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    HP does have somewhat s**tty product support(may the FSM have mercy on your soul if you have component failures on your device :)),but the build quality is great.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Only experience I have had with an AIO was with my daughters Packard Bell oneTwo M3350 (Touch Screen) the hard drive failed a major job just to strip the unit apart to replace it. Where as with a Desktop 5 minutes at most.

8. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Never had to call product support so I wouldn't know :p. If something breaks to the point where I can't fix it and its out of warranty, I'll buy the replacement part or replace the unit.
    Only been on the phone with Dell support and let me tell you, was not an enjoyable moment at all.

9. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    In my case HP kept my support ticket 'in limbo' for almost a month,just so the warranty on my battery ran out and I had to pay full-price to replace it. Needless to say,I told them where to shove it and got an OEM extended one that lasted 2x the use of the original one and was still usable when I replaced my trusty Compaq 615(which is now used as HTPC with a boatload of USB tuners) with a MSI GX740. As for DELL,one year back in high school I worked for them as a repair guy... I've never owned,recommended or repaired one since ;)

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Service is an important factor! Acer and IBM has the best Service in Thailand while Sony, HP, Toshiba and Dell are bad, Lenovo is not so good but quite OK. The most bad service is from Sony and HP!

Problem by Lenovo in Thailand is that they have only 1 year warranty for the hardware and also trying to avoid many claim. 3 Years you get Free Service (work only)!

Acer: fast and cheap. As example: Mainboard problem in Laptop, cost's US$ 80.00 for repair and if could no repair, for replacement! I had an Smartphone from Acer 2 years ago and the touch screen broke after 6 month and as Acer didn't had spare parts for it, I was get a full refund include VAT!

Service sometimes is more important than quality! In Asia and Countries like Thailand!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Most Acer's have cheep parts witch equal poor quality resulting in cheep prices and numerous repairs. For an extra 2,3, or 4 hundred dollars with a better brand such as Sony, HP, Lenovo, or Asus; you are going to get better parts, possible premium support, and a possible longer warranty depending on what line of computer you get from what manufacture. Don't get me wrong, people have their certain brands that they will stick through thick and thin and will recommend that product to anyone and everyone. If you are satisfied from your experience with a brand, God Speed.

12. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Well my dad seems to have liked the C340 & 440...will still need to do more research on this one...Acer was the only one that fit my budget honestly and Lenovo of course...i might also consider HP but again the price plays an important factor..

What would be the best value for money?

13. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    It depends on what your looking for...