TPM not allowed in china and russia. Decent alternative ?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by itsmemario1, Jul 16, 2021.

1. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
  2. vladnil

vladnil MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2019
    TPM is a user ID for tracking who you are.
    It has nothing to do with encryption

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Well, we both know "encryption & security" is what TPM is getting pushed for now.
    And that it could be a nice profit for some humans out, there should this be the final decision of Microsoft.

I work with older computers a lot, helping people to run up to date Windows systems.
    Either because they are poor or dont know (dont want) any other OS.

And while I also try to understand the possible benefits of TPM,
    considering todays "cyber crimes" and stuff.

But it has become "too easy" to mess with todays computer world
    and people arent cautios enough.

TPM for sure isnt the allround miracle cure for a "new" Windows OS.

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    People claim that the problem with TPM is that it has a specific user id, but that's the problem with all hardware encryption. With software encryption you could obfuscate the user id in unexpected ways every time you implemented the encryption. There's a lot of problems with hardware encryption, but mostly it's the human element that went into their design that is the problem. No, I don't blame China or Russia for blocking the use of this tech, if that is indeed what they have done. I don't particularly care for the governments of either of those countries, but they are right to be concerned about the security of those chips, especially if they are to be made mandatory in an operating system.

I still have yet to see the need for these chips argued for. I read one statement that they claimed a 60% reduction in malware. In what scenario? This very much strikes me as a lies, damn lies, and statistics scenario. From what I can tell these chips are only used for bitlocker and Windows Hello so far, so how on Earth could they prevent malware? We're being lied to.

6. vladnil

vladnil MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Malware is Windows - Google - Yahoo - Apple
    All it takes is 15 - 1 megaton missiles to destroy data centers
    And you'll all be free.

7. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Look at todays hacks and data-leaks.

Often simply because people fail to understand or fail to maintain their computer-environment.
    Be it skills shortage, or improper payment, or laziness.

TPM sudeenly wont fix all that, because it is already there.

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Look security is an excuse to push everything that can help big corporations and government to track and control people.

On big corporations TPM and so make sense, but for single users its a decade that is easier to hack the user itself than a weak/unpatched/old OS, at least since the days of wannacry and alike.

Why an hacker should spend days to hack the PC of the average Joe when it can easily fool Joe himself, with an email or with a phishing link or SMS?

9. Mouri_Naruto

Mouri_Naruto MDL Developer

Jul 10, 2014
    I think China is OK to use TPM. But the TPM must support SM crypto algorithm.

SM crypto algorithm support is an optional feature starting from TPM 2.0. So TPM 2.0 can be an ISO standard.

TPM 1.2 has no support the SM crypto algorithm, so it can't be an ISO standard because it rejected by China.

So, the recent generations of Surface Pro series sold in China have the TPM chip. (Of course, it uses SM crypto algorithm.)

And this is the reason for Microsoft to ask users for TPM 2.0.

10. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    My original intent was to to ask, if it could be a decent alternative to use a chines or russian windows...without TPM...or if there are "problems" connected to these that Im unaware of.

11. Stripakulina

Stripakulina MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Itsmemario, Why pull an owl on a globe? All you need is install.wim and applay command with dism or dism++.

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Please stay on topic, thanks!

13. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Sorry Tito, but this topic is already political and one thing led to another. I'll be good. :)

14. chillgates

chillgates MDL Senior Member

Dec 15, 2010
    You all see there are still people using W7 peacefully. In same way we can use W10 for more than 5 years without a problem as updates end by 2025. Even after that time we can use W10 for few more years. There is no need for this useless discussion here which serves no purpose than arguing and hating each other. We are mydigitallife , not mypoliticallife. W11 is absolute bullsh*t. Do we need fight for that ?

15. :shake:

16. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    I just wanted to hear your opinions and experiences with a Chinese / Russian Windows OS,
    as it feels like that it will come without TPM, once Windows 11 has arrived.

Telemetry stuff got removed from the chinese government edition. But what else is left in there ? Or got added ?

Feel free to point me at external links, so we wont have to discuss here. :p

How careless would it be using a chinese / russian Windows system in the future, just for the one reason, to (possibly) avoid TPM (and telemetry) ?

Like, would I be completely fine installing a chinese government edition ? I guess no, as I cant legally purchase it in the 1st place ?

Even if the install.wim is the "only" difference and even if simple registry changes do help at the moment to avoid TPM... Id like to gather your opinions and experiences,
    while we are slowly drifting towards Windows 11.

Please avoid M$ hate, political stuff and Windows 7 here. Appreciated.

17. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Pleas avoid telling people what they may and may not post thx!

18. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    OK assume all the western spyware is removed (very unlikely) and Chinese or Russian spyware is added (possible but not proved)

How interesting the American average Joe would be for the Chinese government?

I assume they are interested on their average Joes AND on western organizations, companies, agencies and politicians.

On the other hand the western average Joe is interesting for western governments, companies, agencies and so on.

So, IMO, the short answer is "not careless at all", unless you are a politician, an activist, a three letter agency employer or alike.

19. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    :clap:

20. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Enterprise exploit based attacks.

Your mom occasionally getting adware on her Windows 10 Home system is 0% protected.