TPM not allowed in china and russia. Decent alternative ?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by itsmemario1, Jul 16, 2021.

Hmm Sir :)

1. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    The original poster wants people to stay on topic. That is not too much to ask.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. chillgates

chillgates MDL Senior Member

Dec 15, 2010
    #23 chillgates, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    If all left over operating systems are non protected why do people still using Vista, 7, 8 on their PCs ? Crazy people like you feel that whenever m$ release a new garbage OS, previous OS will become dangerous to use right ? With a nice antivirus and firewall OS is always protected. And more over, hackers are not interested in stand-alone PCs having old OS to show their abilities.

Talking about adware, you must consider again what websites you visit in your daily life and what sh*t you install on your pc. This generation losing common sense. They donno how to talk in a social forum but feel that they are most intelligent person on earth.

3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Did you quote the wrong post, what you are saying seems completely unrelated to my post and you are agreeing with me while you are seemingly trying to disagree with me.

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #25 endbase, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Stil Tito asked before that post to stay on topic! It is just in the way you read it I guess ;) and to get on topic I think there are many ways to emulate security like TPM so yeah there will be a alternative in the long run

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. chillgates

chillgates MDL Senior Member

Dec 15, 2010
    I replied with full sense and i quoted you for using shameful remark on murphy78 -- "Your mom occasionally getting adware on her Windows 10 Home system is 0% protected."

What is there to agree with you ? nothing.

6. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    A discussion about a (maybe) "feature" of a Windows OS just derailed on mdl, so why not try to stay informative and post your experience instead ?

I am really sorry this thread causes so much uproar.
    That clearly wasnt my intention.

This thread seems to lead anywhere, but hate, missunderstandings and personal accusations. Whatever happend to the technical stuff ? :(

Todays computer world trys to be based on big companies, tweets and re-tweets, on yoututube influencers and ....ya...maybe polititcs...but also YOU !

Lets try to discuss this matter, or lets have this thread locked ? Im not sure anymore.

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Even on that I doubt it. There's no rule that says you can't double-encrypt a drive. If a drive is encrypted by bitlocker, there's nothing that stops it from also being encrypted by ransomware attacks.

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Yep.

HDD encryption's main purpose is to make a physically stolen HDD impossible to read, not to provide additional protection from malware.

9. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Let's just agree to keep the the religion and political philosophy in the chitchat section where it belongs.
    It's hard not to add your 2cp on a topic like this because this whole discussion is a political discussion about 2 country's political decision to ban a company's implementation of this hardware that also has a lot of political ramifications and motivations.
    So it's hard to NOT take that next step. You know what I mean?

I agree that this topic is important for people to know about, but we need to be careful and control our behavior better.

10. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #31 acer-5100, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    IMO isn't just hard is naive.

Nowadays IT IS politics, given the implications it has on the whole life of every person in the planet, not to mention if the question involves two of the three biggest superpowers during the beginning of a new cold war..

11. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Yeah that's the thing. We know this policy affects quite a lot of the future of our entire civilization, at least for the foreseeable future because of how many computers will be implementing things like this. It's a very political thing. It's hard not to discuss a very political topic without getting political ourselves. We still should, otherwise what would be left of this board? It would be like everywhere else on the internet, divisive politically and everyone at their metaphorical throats. When it devolves to that point, you no longer even hear about what the companies or countries are doing because everyone is busy shouting at each other. We all need to be the bigger person and try to control ourselves.

12. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    How is that shameful? Windows 11 and TPM security will be 0% effective at stopping someone like my mom from getting adware occasionally. I have to pull something minor off her PC like maybe 2 times a year and a TPM wont change that.

I also said that the kind of security MS is talking about with Windows 11 does impact attacks involving exploits targeting corporate targets.

I'm not sure what you are so upset about.

13. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Its the entry point that actually matters more. Once you get a low level foot in the door through an exploit, its pretty much over either way if you have not taken fail-safe precautions. The big change that needs to happen in security is a plan that starts with what happens when their is a failure, then works backwards to prevention. If targets are valuable once breached, the breaches will continue to happen. They need to make a breach far less valuable.

14. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Not sure what happened yesterday after I left, but I tried to be as much as politically correct I could w/o drifting in hypocrisy, I know it's not easy for the less cold blooded people.

15. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    The problem is that most of these companies just don't have any security at all. They run an antivirus program and that's it. Relating to the topic at hand, to prevent the malware that assumedly these TPM chips are being argued to help provide protection against, anti-virus programs do nothing because they almost never detect one of these custom ransomware attacks. While I admit that I'm no ransomware expert, I think we all know that 99 times out of 100, it's someone clicking on a bogus email link, text message, or asking customer service to give them access to their account because they lost their phone that actually gives them access to the systems in question. In fact there was a recent Electronic Arts hack where someone did just that where they pretended to be some exec or something and they just gave them access.

The security of these corporations is laughable. I worked at a highend government contractor a couple decades back and they had much higher security. They wouldn't let you get access to anything without filling out forms and getting them signed off by a manager. They firewalled everything. Every single thing you wanted to get access to, you needed to apply for and get manual application and approval for. There was nobody on a chat room to waive you through and this was back when almost everyone was on dial-up. How has everything in the field of internet security devolved since then and how on Earth will these TPM chips even remotely help? In my estimation, they won't.

16. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I was in IT, specifically security for decades and its always the bean counters screwing everything up. They are always willing to kick the can down the road hoping they wont ever get burned instead of spending the $ on real solutions.

Colleges in particular had atrocious security. We were doing an investigation into a fake codec malware campaign and discovered that nearly half of the domains were .edu. When we contacted the colleges they often for pissed at us.

17. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #38 acer-5100, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    I remember, years ago, a client called me because he changed the ISP and (obviously at the time) the SMTP server had to be changed in outlook.

a 30 sec job, in theory

I wasn't even aware of that, but that client was, at the time, the WORLD president of the veterinary association, so it had a huge contact list to almost every country in the world.

When I fixed the SMTP, he had some mail stuck in the Outlook's outbox, obviously I pushed the send/receive button to check if the email was working.

It worked "very well" given it had a newsletter sent to every contact (like 600 people and organizations around the planet), that newsletter had a virus attached, undetected by the useless Norton AV.

In short, with a single mouse click I infected "the planet", I felt like Dr Strangelove :D

I spent the rest of the day sending instructions and singlevirus AV to all of the involved contacts, trying to limit the damage.

Aside the funny story, most of the infected targets were not single people, were hospitals, universities (Oxford was the first one), and national vet organizations.

That happened more than 10 years ago and something changed in the meantime, but many hospitals are still in the same situation.
    Unpatched XP machines are still common, AVs are often expired. People goes in the offices with tethering devices to avoid the central proxy/firewall/whatever.

And security is left on the hands of technicians which are basically vendors with some IT skill, not experts. The OS is not the weakest element of the chain. The human factor IS.

18. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I can't get it out of my system when I travel, I always try to sneak a look at the taskbar at various help desks. Vista and expired AV are super common. I don't see XP as much anymore though, finally.

We were in an airport and a pair of monitors had crashed to desktop, it was clearly Windows 7 (this was last month). You could see the technician try username after username after username trying to log back into whatever app they use to display departure times, and everyone standing there could see it all.

19. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Yeah XP is way less common than just few years ago, but most of the companies I know replaced it because buying new machines was fiscally convenient and the new os was just bundled, not because the people in charge was concerned by security.