Transfer Firefox Profile from Win 7 to XP sp3

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by John Grey, Aug 5, 2013.

1. John Grey

John Grey MDL Junior Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Good morning

I will have to go to the hospital for an operation in a few days, and I am setting up my old laptop, with its XP sp3 OS, updating everything.
    Transferring my Ff profile I use my normal computer (Win 7 Ulti) into the Ff on that laptop would be extremely practical.

I do know where my profile is in Win 7, and I have copied it to a USB stick....
    But I have no clue, where to start searching in XP, where to paste?
    Could someone please give the path?

Thank You o_O

2. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

Or in that neighbourhood. I use a portable version, so going from memory.

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yeah, moz backup is what I use to keep everything backed up and can use it across several systems. I have it on a usb flash, save the backups to the flash as well and just plug and play, literally lol. Saves everything, Ive used it for a long time. So glad it still works with the newest of Firefox lol

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    just run the moz backup on your system and then save it, run it AGAIN on the xp sp3 system and restore to FF once FF is installed. Saves passwords, bookmarks, settings everything. I think he understands completely

5. John Grey

Apr 12, 2012
    Thanks, but I do not want to save anything, I simply want to move the profile to another computer...

6. John Grey

Apr 12, 2012
    Thank You.... Full points.... perfect answer.... :worthy:

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    moving, saving? what the difference. You are doing essentially the same thing. Just choose what you don't want if thats the case, you get options. But glad you got what you want. I prefer automation over manualation hehe

8. John Grey

Apr 12, 2012
    I checked out MOZbackup, and cannot see its purpose for me.
    Of all the software listed there, Firefox is the only one I am using. now, I want to install my Firefox Profile from this to another computer?

What purpose serves moz backup at this? Am I misunderstanding something here?

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    moz backup (moZilla - firefox backup). It will take your entire FF profile and save it to a single file. Then you use the same program to restore it to any other computer. You wanted your profile to go to your laptop with Winxp. You could have made a backup of your profile of FF and restored it to your Winxp laptop in full.

I place the moz backup file on a USB stick, run it and save my profile from FF to the same USB stick. Then when I want to add shortcuts, passwords, settings everything in FF on another system, its nothing more than running moz backup and restoring to the new system that has FF on it.

10. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  11. John Grey

Apr 12, 2012
    Efa11 and Redroad

I think you still misunderstand....

All I do,
    is, I go the ptofile folder in Mozilla, copy the contents and paste them on a USB stick.
    Then I go to my new computer, to the Mozilla -> the profile folder there, throw out everything, and paste the USB stick. Finish....
    This is by the way the answer I was given in post #3 an surely it is simpler and faster than installing a software (probably on two computers?)

I think the misundersnadind is very simple, you did not the question I actually did ask, and so you could not answer it...

I still appreciate your help, though, thanks

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yeah it is portable. so you wouldn't have to go through folders. it already knows where they are. Thats all

13. John Grey

Apr 12, 2012
    Please, for the very last time.... read the question I asked, and read the answer in post #3. That is all there is to it...

Have a nice day everybody

14. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    just offering another solution to the same thing, you don't understand us.
    :closed: