Transfer Thinkpad Win7 Instance to New 4K Win8.1(conserve) Laptop to a Partition/Img?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by crashnburn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    #41 crashnburn, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    (OP)
    I just did a Sysprep and ran thee OOBE VHD.. Gets stuck. Safe Mode after disabling a few things in BIOS gets stuck at a disk.sys (previous was classpnp.sys)

A copy of Sysprep OOBE ran fine in VMWare again.

I suspect this is Windows 7 experiencing issues with the hardware at the very core. I will try a few things from what I read online..

On the Side, I'd like to TRY a FRESH INSTALL of Win 7 x64, Ultimate or Enterprise on to a Native Bood VHD.. UEFI version. If that experiences similar issues, then its definitely a Win 7 + Hardware issue. I'll tackle it on "that" VHD before trying this migration.

Could you please give me an outline/ point me to steps that would be the RIGHT WAY to do a Win 7 FRESH INSTALL on a Native Boot VHD?

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #44 Shenj, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Not sure how viable this is, but if you have a USB Stick you could write a legacy bootloader to it which directs to your VHD, so all you'd need to do is boot into the USB stick which in turn will boot your VHD.
    So just find some random USB stick, plug it in and type
    Code:
    bcdboot.exe X:\windows /s Z: /f BIOS
    X:\ Is your mounted VHD (a not-converted vhd)
    Z:\ is the USB stick

(don't know even this even works)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    PS: Is there anyway to force a Windows 8 - Native Boot 2 VHD - to boot into safe mode?

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    By using the legacy bootloader setting and pressing F8 > safe mode.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...