Transfer W7U from one disk to another?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by moozillaaa, Jan 1, 2015.

1. moozillaaa

moozillaaa MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    Q: Can I extract / create an ISO from W7U live environment?

------------------------------------------
    I got a bigger hard drive for my Alienware, and I DON'T have an install disk (except for an RTM version).

First thing I tried was copy the W7U partition in a Linux environment; cp /dev/sda[old] /dev/sdb[new]. This has worked with W8, Vista, XP, Linux, etc. NOT with W7U however... :confused:

No big deal; I prefer a clean install.

So I loaded RTM on the new disk, and tried to use the Pro-Key for the Alienware's W7U - no luck, as I expected...

Now I'm in the middle of the long method - download W7U image, burn a disk, and install with the ProKey on the machine (which originally had VistaHP installed.

But back to the original question here - anyone? What other options do I have???

2. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    If it were me, I would just clone the old drive to the new drive. There are a number of reliable, free cloning programs, just search Google. Make sure have the computer shut down after cloning. Before powering on, disconnect the old drive. After power up, you made need to resize the C: in Disk Manager (if the cloning program didn't let you do it when cloning).

3. moozillaaa

moozillaaa MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    Thanks. That's what the cp command (or dd, I think) will do. Didn't work this time tho'. Wonder if it had something to do with original drive being solid state drive............

I ended up d/l'ing an ISO, and using the COA key. Got a fresh install, which is what I preferred. Backup is always good tho'.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You need more than just the Pro OEM:SLP Key for the Alienware you also needed to install matching certificate.

5. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    He mentioned using the COA key, which could be a non-slp key and thus would not require a matching oem:slp certificate, although it may require a phone call.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's true! If the computer was bought from an small Assembler shop as No-Name, which W7U pre installed, or bought the the OEM Package, it's like an normal MS Retail Box with less service included! Than there wouldn't be any need of the OEM:SLP Key and an Certificate, he would just need to use the P-Key from that CoA for to install and activate. Piece of Cake!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #8 CaptainKirk1966, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    It is pretty clearly an Alienware machine.

OP is not so clear what key(s) he tried, i.e. an alienware pro oem:slp key, or a 7 pro coa key that was stuck to the outside of the machine. He even mentioned VistaHP was installed originally, which makes you wonder if he really had a 7 pro key on the machine. It even sounded like he might be trying to use a pro key to activate ultimate.