Transfer Windows 10 pro to totally new hardware (motherboard, cpu, memory,hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by redalert11, Jan 2, 2016.

1. redalert11

redalert11 MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2013
    Hi,
    I just bought a new skylake system and would like to transfer my win 10 pro (currently amd system) to the new hardware. What's the best method for this without dealing with Microsoft? Thanks in advance.

2. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Id just install windows 7 pro and activate with Daz's loader, then upgrade to Windows 10 pro.

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Microsoft is very easy to deal with. I have never had a problem with a transfer. You just need to know what to say, and how to say it. I have never transferred Windows 10, but I would start with signing in with your Microsoft Account (as always,) and then if you are not activated, you would call them, and explain that you replaced your motherboard, and stuff, and that you have no other computers using this copy of Windows 10.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Well not an answer and just what happened to me:- I took out the hard drive with win 10 from one computer and fitted it into a different computer with different specs e.g. motherboard and win 10 was still activated.

5. MissKaizen

MissKaizen MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    People can correct me if I'm wrong, but, I am under the impression that windows 10 activation is now hardware bound (i.e. by motherboard). The previous activation will not be valid anymore. As for fixes to that, I'm sorry but, I'm not as tech savvy as some of the gurus here so please wait for their responses. I would just suggest to look at various activation threads around MDL to activate a "brand new" windows 10 (aka KMS activation or something).

6. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    There is not enough accumulated evidence to determine what actually breaks a Windows 10 install. And Microsoft is almost always very reasonable about reactivation's over the phone until you become a serial requester.

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #7 EFA11, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    I moved an HDD from one system to a completely different one and had to reactivate from scratch (I knew this of course). They were close to the same, AMD (APU), MSI Mobo, to an AMD (FX), PNY Mobo, and NVIDIA video.

Anyway, the system ran at first boot, updated itself to the new hardware and was running fantastic, except the activation of course.. I fixed that and am using that system as I type this heh. So at least the OS itself made the switch easy enough without any trouble. Depending on your activation used prior, just do it again to get your free upgrade or fall into hell and use KMS if applicable lmao

-ed-
    one thing I haven't tried and wanted too. Image the current system before switching the HDD to another. Activate the new system per previous use and then image that as well. Then replace your first image to the new system and see if it will activate (since MS now has the new HWID from the new system).

Just a thing I've been curious about and have been too lazy to try.

8. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Unless you bought Windows 10 retail; you only have an OEM copy through the free upgrade.

9. Mavericks Choice

Mavericks Choice MDL Guru

Aug 5, 2015
    As dhjohns mentioned above, even if oem that is the way to do it, I have a few times now also no problems.

10. excalibur2

Aug 1, 2015
    Well you could be correct as when I moved my hard drive to a different computer it was just activated, now it's activated with digital entitlement etc...I suppose the way to find out is to swop a spare drive (with win 10) around to see what happens and will do this to satisify my curiosity.

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I think the easiest way is to put an serial in from for example windows 7 ultimate that will work. If you dont have an legal serial you have to kms an install of windows 7 or higher on the new machine and activate an upgrade after that you can do what ever you want ! ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    i did this. but i had a my bought 8.1 pro key. i just reinstalled 8.1 on my new machine. used my key. went through the phone activation. then rolled up to 10 after updates. then did a clean reset from inside 10. haven't a single issue.

13. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    digital entitlement is normal!
    The following scenarios fall under digital entitlement and will not require a 25-character product key:

You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
    You bought genuine Windows 10 from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10.
    You bought a Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10.
    You’re a Windows Insider and upgraded to the newest Windows 10 Insider Preview build on an eligible device that was running an activated previous version of Windows and Windows 10 Preview.
    The following scenarios will require a 25-character product key:

You bought a copy of Windows 10 from an authorized retailer. (on a label inside the retail packaging)
    You bought a digital copy of Windows 10 from an authorized retailer. (in a confirmation email)
    You have a Volume Licensing agreement for Windows 10 or MSDN subscription.
    You bought a new device running Windows 10. (pre-installed or included with your device)
    So there you have it. Upgrading for free to Windows 10 from a genuine copy of Windows 8.1 gives you digital entitlement, whereas purchasing a retail boxed copy of Windows 10 will require a product key to activate. Hopefully this clears up some confusion regarding activation on Windows 10.

14. excalibur2

Aug 1, 2015
    Well for my play around hard drive....I do have win 10 10586 install discs but it's asking for a product key.....I did have two legal OEM win 7 keys (from computers I'd thrown away) but not sure if they would work...anyway I can't find these two keys that I wrote down somewhere :(