Transfer Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by C.B., Jan 22, 2011.

1. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I need to transfer WLM, all current email accounts within WLM, all folders currently associated with each email account and all Contacts. Is this possible using an Easy Transfer Cable or external hard drive or must I install WLM on the new computer and then individually add each email account (23) and folders?

Would it be easier or better if I simply made a backup of everything on WLM and then transfer the backup to my new computer.

I'm currently using Vista Ultimate x86 and will be using Win 7 Ultimate x64 on the new system.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. hurtz777

hurtz777 MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    The only way to back up the Windows Live Mail contacts is to export them into VCF Vcard format within the contacts section of Windows Live Mail and then import all individual VCF contacts back in to Windows Live Mail after you have restored your backup Windows Live Mail folder on your reinstall. First you will need to go to Windows Explorer or My Computer and click Organize at the top. After that click "Folder and search options", then click the "View" tab, and under "Hidden files and folders" clock on "Show hidden files, folders, and drives". Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and go to C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\. There you will see a "Windows Live Mail" folder that will contain all email server account info and messages. Just back that folder up and on your new install open Windows Live Mail for the first time and then close it and then delete the Windows Live Mail folder and copy your backup Windows Live Mail folder there. This is the most effective way to do it. You will just have to re-enter the passwords on your email accounts on first load. Good luck. Windows Live Mail is the best!

4. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I thank both of you for your replies. My main concern is that I have added two additional folders to all my email accounts and I don't want to lose the information in them. The two new folders created are "Stored Messages" and "Receipts".

5. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    I believe if you used Windows Easy Transfer, it will all get migrated... you don't need a transfer cable, you can do it via network, usb flash drive, or external hdd

6. bAiLeY

bAiLeY MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Hello m8, if you want an automated approach, try static email backup, its good and does Windows live mail, OE6, Win Mail, Documents etc etc
    google the software and get 20 day trial, soz cant post a link until i reach the magic 20 posts :)

7. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Thank you, Kouryu and bailey, for your replies. I appreciate it very much.