Travelmate HDD "problem"

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mushaba, Mar 7, 2010.

1. mushaba

mushaba MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2010
    Hello guys

Yesterday my roomate decided to upgrade his HDD to his old laptop from an 20GB HDD to an 80GB HDD

His laptop is an ACER TravelMate 613 TXV with Phoenix BIOS with a Hitachi Travelstar HDD installed (20 GB 4200rpm PATA)

We bought a new WD Scorpio WD800BEVE,installed it but when we power on the laptop it hanged and after a while an error message "Fixed Disk 0 Error" Error 0200

I took a look at bios version,it was version R01.B6.On Acer Support Page i found version R01.C6 which i ve installed but the problem was still the same.

We had the new Scorpio installed to a neighbours laptop (Toshiba) and it worked out fine.

I read somewhere in the WD Knoledge Base that if the level of S.M.A.R.T. was lower than III i should reflash the bios with a new one.In this case the newest is R01C6.

Can you thing of a way to help me out on this?

Thanx in advance!

2. mushaba

mushaba MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2010
    Any ideas,anyone?

3. WindDrake

WindDrake MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2008
    The 61x Series Travelmates used a "CAM" series Intel Southbridge. This won't support anything beyond old, 4200rpm PATA Disks. I think you might be able to find some working 40gb models in that speed, but the Southbridge isn't going to work with newer revision PATA devices.

4. mushaba

mushaba MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2010
    WindDrake thanx a lot,i've allready found a 60Gb PATA 4,200 disk to replace it!