tri boot question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pasta88, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    I am trying to put 3 operating systems on my PC. They are Xp, vista and windows. Plz dont ask me why I want all three. I am using Gparted live and I seem to be doing something wrong. I have 2 HD's on my PC. One is 70 GB and the other is 500 Gb. I want to put XP on 70 Gb HD and the other 2 on 500 GB.

What I need to know is I partition and format 70 GB as primary and ntfs and it works fine. When I put the other 2 OS on separate OS's and i partition 2 different ones do I need to make them both secondary partitions and format them both as NTFS? I am screwing something up but not sure what. I appreciater any help given.

thx

2. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    When I installed my 5 OS's on my 500 GB Hdd, first I installed XP then Partition Magic 9.0.
    Then I shrank the XP drive & created 4 more partitions, 3 (I think) primary & 1 extended.
    Next I started installing the oldest = Vista then Windows 7 (3 flavors).
    Installing the oldest OS first is recommended.

As I installed Vista & Win7's each created a boot menu item & was automatically added to the boot menu.
    No problems doing it this way.

Good luck

3. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    My solution was to create 3 primary and 1 logical partitions. I have Linux, Windows XP and Windows 7 installed in the primary partitions. The extended (logical) drive is formatted as NTFS and is accessible from all operating systems. I use Gag as the boot manager and have configured it to hide the primary partitions that are not in use. This way which ever version of Windows I choose, I have the OS on drive C: and drive D: for data. Linux works similarly but of course the file structure does not assign drive letters.

4. mongen

mongen MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Why don't you guys boot with just Windows 7, and run all the other OSes you want in a VM?

*shrug*

5. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    only C your first drive need be primary ,all others can be logical (basic)

6. Nimbus2000

May 5, 2010
    I occasionaly use Virtual Machines but have experienced enough compatibility and performance issues to prevent me from using them on a routine basis.

7. Nimbus2000

May 5, 2010
    The advantage of configuring the system with multiple primary partitions and GAG is that each OS is totally isolated from the others. Originaly I installed Linux last and let grub handle the OS selection at boot time. In each version of Windows I used Disk Management to remove the drive letter assignment for the other version. Unfortunately this did not always work as well as it should have. I switched to the current configuration after I experienced cross contamination from some rather nasty malware. The disadvantage of placing each operating system in a primary partiton is that it limits you to 4 operating systems or, as in my case, 3 OS plus 1 extended (logical) drive.

8. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009