TrueCrypt and changing computers

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by C.B., Jan 25, 2011.

1. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #1 C.B., Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    Please excuse my ignorance regarding this matter. I have been to the TrueCrypt forums, studied the FAQ and used the search function and I still can't arrive at the answer to my question.

I am using Vista Ultimate x86 on my current computer. A new computer, being delivered today or tomorrow, will have Win 7 Ultimate x64 installed on it.

I have two 01 TB external Toshiba drives, each one having a 150 GB TrueCrypt volume on it, password protected. The external drives themselves are not encrypted. Are the passwords to these two TrueCrypt volumes contained in the installed TrueCrypt software, which is installed on the internal system drive of my current computer, or in the TrueCrypt volumes on the external drives? Will I be able to connect my two external drives to the new computer, download and install TrueCrypt on the new internal system drive and then access the two TrueCrypt volumes already existing on the two external drives by using my current password?

Again, please pardon my ignorance on this subject and my inability to determine the answer through the TrueCrypt forum. I did not receive any advice from the TrueCrypt forum.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

2. themendios

themendios MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2011
    #3 themendios, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    If you told it to keep passwords in memory, maybe. But you wouldn't do that because then what would be the point of TrueCrypt, right? ;)

Yes. Unless you use keyfiles, in which case you will need to move them to the new drive. The drives don't care what computer you installed them on, only that some version of TrueCrypt communicates with them.

TrueCrypt is designed to be portable, I've got a 1TB with the actual device encrypted and I swap it between windows computers and even got it to work on a debian install.

If you're talking just a truecrypt volume as in a 150GB file on the drives, you should have absolutely zero chance of an issue.

3. Slappy

Slappy MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I use TrueCrypt on several USB sticks and am able to open them on any computer which had the appropriate version of TrueCrypt software installed to use to "mount" the device. Should be the same for any external harddrive. Your discs are "encripted" and you only need to access them through TrueCrpyt to enter the correct password. You should be able to open them on any computer or laptop with a current version of TrueCrypt installed to imput that password.

Regards,

4. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I thank everyone for your replies. I appreciate it very much. Have a nice day.

C.B.