TrueCrypt data safety

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Deleted member 222776, Jul 2, 2015.

As we all know, last year TC decided to kill itself out of some odd reason. The application is still very useable and I'll continue using it untill a clone of it comes along.
    That being said, how good is TC against data corruption? Say I add 1000 small files, text, docx, pictures etc. If say a power failure were to occur or a bad sector on HDD would affect the container, would I still be able to recover some of the data or will the whole container be corrupted?

Thanks

1. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    I think that the critical portion of the container (basically the portion in which resides the MFT and the portion involved in encryption and decryption) is quite small. Therefore, it will be (statistically) much easier to lose some data than lose the whole container.

I store my own projects (basically text files) in small TC containers. No one wants to steal my work (at least until now), so I don't care about the portable size of the container, which is protected by a strong password anyway. And this way it's easy to make a backup of the whole container to obtain some peace of mind.

2. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Switchover to VeraCrypt, it's being actively developed and is good. I am using for number of containers for different types of data.
    The ONLY way to protect against corruption is multiple backups.
    No backup = No data, as simple as that!