Trying to extract a discontinued feature from Server 2016

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by bobbintb, Feb 24, 2022.

1. bobbintb

bobbintb MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2008
    I've been wanting to use Multipoint Services and been doing a lot of research on it. It seems like it had a lot of potential but Microsoft botched the execution. They are no longer developing it so the latest version is in Windows Server 2016. The whole thing has been confusing because it is the server role that is needed. Newer versions of Windows still include the Manager and Dashboard, but they are useless without the server role.

I have been trying to find a way to extract it from Windows Server 2016 to see if I can install it on my Windows 11 machine. I can do some pre-install/post-install file compares but that is tedious, time consuming, and inaccurate. I've been looking at using DISM and MSMG toolkit but so far have come up empty. I also saw the Missed Features Installer but I don't think that will work. Maybe I'm wrong.

Has anyone been able to do this with any kind of feature or role? Maybe I'm using MSMG wrong.

2. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...