Trying to get proper BIOS setup for Dell to be genuine

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SammyDell, Mar 11, 2010.

1. SammyDell

SammyDell MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    I didn't reboot between key changes, but I did wait for the popup confirming that it was accepted. I then clicked on the validation link which downloaded something and pronounced me unclean.

2. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I can see nothing wrong from your screen shot. If you have an official Dell 2.1 BIOS, it should work. The only suspect is your Win 7 copy downloaded. I would suggest you use a clean win 7 RTM or MSDN copy, which can be fould in the stickies.

3. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #23 NoJuan999, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    danny is right, my next suggestion would be the same as his.
    Download an unmodified RTM copy and install it then reinstall the Dell Cert and Key.
    You can use the Slic Dump Tool to back up you certificate and Key.

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #24 Rosco, Mar 11, 2010
    If you downloaded the Official Dell BIOS update and flashed your BIOS with that according to Dell's instructions then you should have no problems - so, sorry, but your theory doesn't stack up. When the OEMs issue a BIOS update to provide Win 7 SLIC 2.1 the install is a breeze.

SLIC 2.1 + matching Cert + appropriate key = activation everytime - else there's gunna be a lot of annoyed OEM customers..

Something else is getting in the way.

Are you sure your install DVD isn't inserting a loader - I've seen "pre-activated" DVDs called by all sorts of names including Dell OEM - activated forever or some such nonsense - where did you get it from - that may provide a clue ???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
  6. apollopimp

apollopimp MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    your SLIC, cert, and key are good the problem is probably your install download the RTM from the links that have been given to you and install than use your same SLIC, cert, and key to activate than you shoulds be fine

7. Suited_Up

Suited_Up MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    It looks like he and I have the same diagnostics. I am downloading the version you linked, but when I install, does it have to be a clean install, or can I keep the files I have. (Don't have an external HD to save)

It looks like I have an OEM version, and used a loader, but I don't think it was Daz's, probably Orbit. No idea if it's still installed, pretty sure I got rid of it right after, unless there is more to it than just hitting uninstall in the add/remove area.

Also, when you say use the same SLIC, Cert and Key.... how do you do that exactly?

Sorry, totally novice questions. Been looking for answers on my own, but not getting very far.

8. Suited_Up

Suited_Up MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    Well, it appears that the loader might have fixed the problem, something I did worked, and it checked out as genuine through microsoft.com

Now my issue is that I still have no access to my system files. When I open the explorer and try to go to system, it says 'page failed to load', same thing if I right click on computer and hit properties.

What can I do here?

9. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    By OEM I mean the Dell or HP or Gateway or Whatever OEM Disks that Manufacturers Distribute with their PC's. (these have been getting tagged non-genuine many times for whatever reason)
    The Retail ISO is the one that is sold on store shelves.

You Need to re-format and install the Retail RTM ISO then install the Certificate and OEM SLP Key.
    If you are unwilling to listen to Good Advice then why even ask for help ????

Look above Invalid License would lead me to believe that your License Type does NOT match the installed Version on Win 7.

10. SammyDell

SammyDell MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    Thanks for your good advice, and I do appreciate it. I'm searching for an option that avoids a full reinstall if that is possible. So your theory is that it is something in my original installation disk that has caused my installation to be tagged? If so, then not even introducing a totally valid key at this point will help?

11. SammyDell

SammyDell MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    Pardon my ignorance, but is a loader something that you can just run 1 time and be done with it? Or does it stay on your system indefinitely? I thought that it was something the modified your MBR and hooked itself into your system somehow and was active on every bootup. Am I mistaken?

BTW, are you on real Dell hardware or something else?

12. Suited_Up

Suited_Up MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    I was actually curious about the same thing.

And yes, I'm on an actual Dell. Seems like this page not loading issue was common for vista, but I can't seem to find much for 7.

13. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    #37 NoJuan999, Mar 11, 2010
    You could buy a key and that may work but it may not.

PS
    The loaders install a modified version of the Grub4DOS GLDR and that stays on your system and loads SLIC 2.1 info into memory at boot up to fool Win 7 into believing you have SLIC 2.1 in BIOS.

I still say the best solution to this problem is to Reformat and install the Retail ISO and Certificate and OEM SLP Key

14. SammyDell

SammyDell MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    Do you have an actual Dell BIOS that support SLIC 2.1 or is it a hacked SLIC 2.0? My machine is an M6400 with a real Dell BIOS (A09) containing SLIC 2.1. If you have a real Dell SLIC 2.1 BIOS, what OS was your machine originally licensed for?

15. jojo_dancer

jojo_dancer MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009

You Sir, are one patient Canine!

16. SammyDell

SammyDell MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    Thanks for the advice, and I plan to use your reformat/reinstall advice as my backup plan. However, it seems like there should be some way to figure out what is being targeted in my system. In addition to a minor annoyance, this is an interesting tech question as well. :) Based on everything I learned so far, it seems like there are only 2 places where my I could be tagged:

1) Bad original install DVD. (That is your theory, I think) If so, someone must have messed up the original Dell OEM CD that I got in a way that the new upgrade can target and tag. In that case, no key or loader would ever make my existing Win installation genuine again.

2) Dell Asset Tag somehow marks me a Vista only. If so, a real license key would likely fix that.

3) Any other possibilities that I've overlooking?