Turn Off Autoplay Pop-Up Window?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jetjock, Dec 22, 2011.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I give up! I have turned off everything I can think of in my Win 7 Ultimate Group Policy Editor concerning "Autoplay", but everytime I plug in my external USB drive I still get that damned pop-up window asking me what I want: "Open a folder to view files" or "Use this drive for backup using Windows Backup". I don't want either. I just want to get rid of that damned pop-up!! :mad:

I have also tried going to Control Panel and making changes there, but no matter what changes I make there, they are deleted immediately when I close the window. When I go back there the box at the top (Use AutoPlay for for all media and devices) is rechecked and all the possibilities are reset to "Chose a Default". Help!!!

jetjock:plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sticky74

sticky74 MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    Here is the solution:

spotht.com/2010/12/how-to-disable-autoplay-pop-up-window.html

3. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #3 Humphrey, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    How about disabling autorun completely with a reg file.

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:000000ff
    or just autoplay with this reg file:
    Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers]
    "DisableAutoplay"=dword:00000001

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    That worked fine once I rebooted. Thanks alot.

jetjock :plane:

5. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #5 jetjock, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Thanks, but not sure if that would work or not. I found an earlier post from someone with a similar question, where someone suggested just removing "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" so I did. That didn't work at all. See the post from Sticky 74 to see what did. I appreciate the interest.

jetjock :plane:

6. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Np, I integrate it into my Win7 iso's so that autorun doesn't start usb drives, the computers worlds WHORE. :tooth:

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Control panel-autoplay-untick autoplay for all media and devices

Very easy and has always worked for me.