Turn off Cortana completely?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by slackeritguy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. slackeritguy

slackeritguy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Just installed Windows 10 on my primary PC, everything seems to be going great at the moment, but one thing I haven't been able to do is remove Cortana completely.

I followed a guide over at tenforums, but still nothing.

The Cortana process is still running in the background (taking around ~30MBs of RAM).

Is there a way to disable it completely?

2. Sammy

Sammy MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    check the tweak and fixes thread

3. slackeritguy

slackeritguy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Is there a way to disable it there? Could you link me up to it mate? I don't feel like going through ~50 pages.

4. wqwqwff

wqwqwff MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2014
    You don't feel like doing it so this other guy should do it?

5. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I think there is a more elegant way, but I always go to c:\windows\systemapps\ and rename the cortana folder.
    But the search you use to filter the 'start menu' is part of cortana.
    If you rename the folder to remove cortana the search won't be available anymore.
    If you don't need it you're fine. If you like a search box in your start menu you'll have to switch to sth. like Classic Shell.

The performance of Windows 10 without cortana plus classic shell is way better.

6. slackeritguy

slackeritguy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Are we sure he doesn't know where it is?

I'm doing it as I type this (already up to page 19) but if he knows then that would be great.

7. montythebrave

montythebrave MDL Junior Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Is yours available?

I have the United Kingdom language selected and it says its not available. Any ideas?

8. logicwatch

logicwatch MDL Senior Member

Jan 26, 2011
    You also have to download the appropriate language pack not just set your language to get Cortana ;)

9. omgbbqit

omgbbqit MDL Member

Aug 14, 2012
    There is no such thing as a language pack for UK within the Settings. If you install an EN-US iso with English UK langauge selected, that's what you get. If you install EN-GB versions, that's what you get.

10. logicwatch

logicwatch MDL Senior Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I had to download some sort of extended language pack for EN-GB UK ? before I got it up and running ? :confused:

11. cassades2014

cassades2014 MDL Junior Member

May 11, 2013
    i own enterprises the tweaks didn't work for me ,after disabling windows search defender,realtime protection,automatic updates finally i deleted the cortana folder .u must install the program everything google it , then right click properties on cortana service in task manager. copy the name of that folder in a text document on desktop, restart in safe mode search with everything that folder there will be 5 by total i think you can delete most of them but some requiers to take ownership .detele them all restart and that's all.