Turn off Update in Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Nicholas440, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    I got the " windows is not genuine" message after a recent update and I took Daz's loader off then re-installed the loader and all was fine again, it shows it as Activated once more.

My question is , since updates are not important to me, can I just disable Windows Update in services, and also disable the auto update in Windows Update as well ? It seems that when they slip in the K xxxxxxx update is when Windows says it's not Genuine and I have to unload, and reload the Loader to get it back to normal.

Im just wondering if disabling the updates will solve this problem?

Thanks guys... and thanks to Daz for a great loader...

2. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    You can disable them without issues unless you use Microsoft Security Essentials since that relys on the update service but other than that you're fine.

Just remember to enable the win update service whenever you install them manually otherwise they don't apply correctly and to turn it back off afterwards.

3. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    What setting have you got WU set too, if it's on Automatic try switching it to check for updates but not to download and install any updates.
    That way you'll get to see all the updates that you can choose, and hide the ones you wish to not have installed.

If that doesn't work, or your fedup with messing around with updates, then you can disable WU:-

Winkey + R to launch Run dialog, then type in services.msc and press enter. Then go to the bottom where you should see Windows Update and double-click on it, and then click on stop and where it says startup type, set it to disabled and then click on ok and exit services, you may have to restart your PC after this. I hope this helps you:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. new_hack

new_hack MDL Member

Mar 31, 2011
    1. fresh install update disable=find
    2. allready appy any update, update disable=update still on

just sharing

5. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Thank you for the replies guys, I have it set to check for update but not download them. When I ran Win XP Pro I simply disabled the update feature and ran it without updates.

If Win 7 is going to run ok as it is, I'll just avoid those updates if possible. Thanks again..

:biggrin: