Turn your Windows 7 laptops into Wi-Fi hotspots

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by silvergate, Oct 31, 2009.

1. nick cannon

nick cannon MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2007
    Worked for me

Worked for me I have a desktop with a wifi card and i am currently using it as a router but already have thrree so i guess i wont need this still good app though.

2. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Works perfectly for me on the desktop also.

But the thing I need it to work on... my notebook, well it just keeps giving an error.

Has anyone got this to work on a notebook/netbook? :confused:

3. sirrich

sirrich MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009

hey bro can u tell me what kind of wifi thingy u plug in ur desktop to make it work? also a step by step would be great thks in advance :)

4. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes it does... thx.

But it has to be set up everytime because after reboot it forgets all settings - whereas this software is a simple press the button to activate and you are away.

-------------------

Weird thing is... setting up an adhoc connection the Vostro does perfectly.. but yet the software connectify wont recognise the intel wireless card... AND the Virtual Miniport doesnt appear - which is needed for connectify to work..

5. rorobr

rorobr MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    @Bax!: I have the same error message on a Dell Inspirion 9300 Notebook (with Windows 7).

6. anbuchelvan

anbuchelvan MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    it'sworking.please check again.

7. VIIZ

VIIZ MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    ah yes, it's working! something is wrong with my isp that avoid me to connect to connectify.me!! I'm using proxy right now and it's ok!! weird :confused:

8. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Good day. To those who has the problem "no wifi devices found":

Provide a passphrase first.

9. Robert Cartman

Robert Cartman MDL Junior Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Some "bad boys" use this to steal information from people. For example they set up a public hot spot in a hotel and waiting for someone to connect to it -beleiving that they connected to the hotel's secure hot spot - then they monitor every bytes running thru that connection. A lot of bank account has been broken up with the stolen data using this method.

10. Souldat

Souldat MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2009
    nice... got it working :)

11. VIIZ

VIIZ MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    #33 VIIZ, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
    :eek: damn!! must be very careful...
    hmmm, what's the software they use to monitor every bytes running thru the connection?!(just curious :rolleyes: )

12. jas0nuk

jas0nuk MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Wireshark (used to be called Ethereal)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    From Connectify Staff:

14. loliix

loliix MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2008
    Just a thumbs up to say that most Ralink chipsets don't need W7 neither this software to act as an Access Point, because their drivers already have this option. (It may be buried under the Device Properties on the Device Manager if you don't have the RaUI)

Still useful for others though.

15. DAz999

DAz999 MDL Member

May 19, 2007
    Connectify have a problem!!

The reason connectify is not working with most Network Adapters is because when Microsoft where developing this for Win7 it was going to be a requirement for all Network Card Manufactures to include the the MS Virtual driver, which because the project was shelved, very few Manufactures have included this requirement in the Windows 7 Drivers they have released. So connectify will either have to provided modded drivers for all cards, which is nigh on impossible because of the work involved or find some way to put it in there software and then be able to work with any Win7 NIC or WiFi adapter

16. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Would have been great if there was a generic Intel driver that would do the virtual adapter trick. :)

17. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    argh this crap intel 4965 card is compatible with nothing !
    why i chosed that, better tried a dell card.:(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...