[TUTORIAL]Delete W7's Reserved Partition After Install & Keep All Your Data

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by murdercitydevil, Sep 14, 2009.

1. murdercitydevil

murdercitydevil MDL Member

Sep 7, 2009
    #1 murdercitydevil, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017

Attached Files:

2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    This is a good guide for those of us who missed the boat so to speak and wound up with the 100mb partition. I would like to add that it is a good idea to make an image any time you do a fresh install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. imatrix

imatrix MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    is the benefit worth the risk? will this increase the performance? and what's the big deal to have 100mb partition there?

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Bottom line is that the 100mb partition doesn't hurt anything but some of us just don't want it there. I removed it from my system because I use images to restore my computer whenever I screw it up and I did not want that 100mb partition restored every time I restored from my restoration image.

By all means, if you are OK with that 100mb partition then leave it there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. murdercitydevil

Sep 7, 2009
    benefit worth the risk? Depends on how you perceive the benefit. If you do it correctly and carefully, there is zero risk. Increase performance? Well, you'll have 100 mb extra disk space and a single partition for all OS files. I suppose in theory this might speed up boot time by a few milliseconds :D And there is no big deal, like it says at the top, this is for those of us who are anal about this type of thing. The same type of people who run CCleaner and scan for viruses on a daily basis, I suppose.

6. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    if you install without the partition in the first place, you wont have to worry about this.

7. luxury54

luxury54 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009
    acronis true image 2009 is backing up also the 100mb partition so nothing to worry in case you want to restore the image (if it stays hidden it won't even bother me so no need to complicate things)
    and by the way,I made a HDD backup with acronis and with all my programs installed and configured,the image takes 2,7 GB of space with it's normal compression method (that is done in real time while backing up) so I don't know how you end up with a 25 GB image :eek:

8. murdercitydevil

Sep 7, 2009
    Yeah I think it's pretty clear how obvious this is. Thanks for the brilliant insight. However, it's not the point.

And yeah, my image is actually 18 gigs, but that includes a bunch of media that I have in my Libraries plus saved games that I copied over from my old Vista install.

9. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Hi, can you write BAT installer for delete 100MB partion? I all things can be done without restart ;)

10. murdercitydevil

Sep 7, 2009
    I have absolutely no idea how you would combine all of this into a batch file. I have no experience doing anything like that. Also, I don't think it's possible because a few steps have to be done outside of windows. You can't format your disk while in Windows, for instance.

11. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Here must be method how mount hide partion and copy all needed files...

12. murdercitydevil

Sep 7, 2009
    There might be, but I'm not the person who would know anything about it. Like I said I don't know how to write batch scripts...especially ones as complicated as this.

13. Gamer2win

Gamer2win MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2008
    If you partition your drive and format it before installing win7
    there won't be any hidden partitions

14. tci

tci MDL Novice

May 25, 2007
    Nice tutorial but it seems like a lot of work and time consuming. Here's what i did.

1. Installed Paragon Partition Manager
    2. Deleted the 100mb partition.
    3. Extended my main partition to use up all the free space.

All done within windows, 1 reboot required.

Im sure other partitioning programs can be used.

15. murdercitydevil

Sep 7, 2009

How did you do that if all your boot files were stored on that partition? Unless Windows randomly chooses where to put its boot files...because my hidden partition had nothing but boot stuff and system volume information. Windows was a vegetable without those files. Also from what I've heard doing partition work such as extending on a partition that's full of files can lead to corruption and possible data loss. But if it worked for you, then that's good!

16. tci

tci MDL Novice

May 25, 2007
    Now that you mention it i dont know, all i did was use the partitioning program. On my C i have a Boot and Recovery folder and system boots fine.

17. murdercitydevil

Sep 7, 2009
    Interesting...well in any case, for me the boot stuff was stored on my system reserved partition, and Windows was not able to automatically repair anything, so as you can see I was forced to do it the hard way. I just wanted to help out those who may be in the same situation I was.

18. MaCaNiX

MaCaNiX MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    Dell Laptop hidden and locked uitility partition

Used this to delete a Dell Laptop hidden (and locked) utility partition which is pretty much useless if you have the recovery CD (Win7)
    Few hassles getting any of the boot partition managers to "see" & delete the locked partition but worked out in the end... now have a Dell lappy with one large, contiguous boot partition...:biggrin:

Great tutorial all round... thanks mate..

19. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Nice post!

But whats the deal with the 100MB partition? I mean it's there but it does not bother me at all. Are there any disadvantages to have it on the hard drive?

20. kwanbis

kwanbis MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Good reading. I don't think is worth it, but very interesting.