TV Series I Like and Recommend

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Katzenfreund, Oct 4, 2016.

1. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
  2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Here’s an example of how people’s tastes differ. So Game of Thrones is considered one of the all time best TV series. Yet, I could only stand a couple of episodes before I stopped watching it.

I didn’t find it all that good to start with, and then there was a scene where a father slaughtered the dog that had saved his son’s life. Now, I don’t like dogs, I like cats. But such scenes are not my idea of entertainment.

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I never watched it, but it looked stupid.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I have problems even killing a fly, but GOT is a realistic representation of what happened in the middle age in Europe, the fantasy land where all of that happens is just an excuse for a more free narration, w/o breaking the real history, something which is very common in Hollywood's movies

That said, speaking of new interesting series, you may want to take a look to Westworld, which is a reboot of the story narrated in the 1973 (great) movie.

The first two episodes looked very promising and the cast is way above the average, starting from Anthony Hopkins

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

It's just one of the best series of all the time.

6. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    It is a damn shame only 13 episodes of Grimm left to start January 3, then no more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I can only talk about my opinion, but for the first few years it certainly was one of the best, but then it got more and more childish, because the author in his books did aim them at teenie-market. Especially annoying the role of Maisie Williams.... actresses on both sides of 40 playing girls and raising the violence content at a cost of time for naked women = adapting to american "culture"/market

But the problem is the same with most series, they are after all there to earn money, and not to heighten culture.
    Two and half men was great until they changed the main character, Big Bang was brilliant until it stopped being about problems of the over 180 IQ people, Ally McBeal started great and fizzled out, even the truly brilliant Shameless (US) became disappointing after three or four seasons......
    Only a few series kept the level, Boston Legal did, 6 feet under did...

It is probably too hard to spread a brilliant idea over a very long period, before becoming mediocre, when the only reason to keep on watching is, that you still like the actors, while the makers have run out of ideas already a while ago.
    The one important change towards more quality happened when suddenly many creative people started doing their thing, away from the usual network stations. No one wants to watch an interesting TV series and have it interrupted for advertising.

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I may agree with you when talking about the last year, that surpassed the books, but at least the first four/five seasons are mostly stuck to the story with just minor variations

GOT Is a great story on the book, where the "fantasy"definition is just an excuse to have more freedom, its TV transposition is just great, generally well directed, well played, and filmed using a great budget, which helps as well.

As for the nudity and/or violence they are never misplaced. Personally I find more "disturbing" the single scene seen in Star Trek In To The Darkness, where you can see Alice Eve in underwear. That's completely unnecessary in the story economy, and was just a blink to male's genitals.

9. Crime[Scene]

Crime[Scene] MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2016
    Reno 911, that show cracks me up.

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Yots!

The Dominar recommends FarScape

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Westworld looks promising, according to the first three episodes already aired, we will see how it will develop.

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Sorry, but I have to write this:

My condolations, let me guess, you were educated in America? CSI and JAG?
    No wonder all you people have left is Trump and Hilary....

13. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Please show me where I referenced "CSI".
    Do you even know what CSI stands for ?

Now what were you saying about education ?

14. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Sorry, but in Europe we learn foreign languages insted of typing, that does not rally change anything about the two series you find so great.

15. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
  16. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Again your reading comprehension lacks severely.

It is three series, the first of which is a spin off from one which you are under the mistaken impression that I "find so great".

Perhaps you should just quit before you make yourself look like the true idiot you are. :dunno:

17. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    TOO LATE! :D
    :eekout:

18. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Back on topic, I'm currently watching the British series: Mystery!: Cadfael (ITV, 1994-8).

It's about a 12th century monk, ex crusader, who solves crimes around Shrewsbury. So far the show is good, and transcends the usual scenarios of police inspectors and private dicks. Though episodes are self-standing, it's advisable to start from the first one.

19. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #59 R29k, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Some Series I Like

I'll list some old stuff I liked watching, the new things can be :yucky: since they all seem to end up in the same mould.

Dad's Army is a BBC television sitcom about the British Home Guard during the Second World War. It was written by Jimmy Perry and David Croft and broadcast on the BBC from 1968 to 1977. The sitcom ran for 9 series and 80 episodes in total, plus a radio version based on the television scripts, a feature film and a stage show. The series regularly gained audiences of 18 million viewers and is still repeated worldwide.

'Allo 'Allo! is a BBC television British sitcom that was first broadcast on BBC One from 1982 to 1992, comprising eighty-five episodes. The story is set in a small-town café in German-occupied France during the Second World War. It is a parody of another BBC programme, the wartime drama Secret Army. 'Allo, 'Allo! was created by David Croft, who also wrote the theme music, and Jeremy Lloyd. Lloyd and Croft wrote the first six series. The remaining series were written by Lloyd and Paul Adam.

Perry Mason is an American legal drama series originally broadcast on CBS television from September 21, 1957, to May 22, 1966. The title character, portrayed by Raymond Burr, is a fictional Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer who originally appeared in detective fiction by Erle Stanley Gardner. Many episodes are based on stories written by Gardner.

Matlock is an American television legal drama, starring Andy Griffith in the title role of criminal-defense attorney Ben Matlock. The show, produced by Intermedia Entertainment Company (first season only), The Fred Silverman Company, Dean Hargrove Productions, Viacom Productions, and Paramount Television (season 9 only), originally aired from March 3, 1986, to May 8, 1992, on NBC; and from November 5, 1992, until May 7, 1995, on ABC.

The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling. The episodes are in various genres, including psychological horror, fantasy, science fiction, suspense, and psychological thriller; and often conclude with a macabre or unexpected twist, and usually with a moral. A popular and critical success, it introduced many Americans to common science fiction and fantasy tropes.

The Outer Limits is an American television series that aired on ABC from 1963 to 1965 at 7:30PM Eastern Time on Mondays. The series is often compared to The Twilight Zone, but with a greater emphasis on science fiction stories (rather than stories just dealing with fantasy or supernatural matters). The Outer Limits is an anthology of self-contained episodes, sometimes with a plot twist at the end.

Mind Your Language is a British sitcom that premiered on ITV in 1977. Produced by London Weekend Television and directed by Stuart Allen, the show is set in an adult education college in London and focuses on the English as a Foreign Language class taught by Mr Jeremy Brown, portrayed by Barry Evans, who had to deal with a motley crew of foreign students. Three series were made by LWT between 1977–79, and the show was briefly revived in 1986 with six of the original cast.

The Honeymooners is an American sitcom, based on a recurring 1951–55 sketch of the same name. It originally aired on the DuMont network's Cavalcade of Stars, Jackie Gleason's variety show and subsequently on the CBS network's The Jackie Gleason Show, which was filmed in front of a live audience. It debuted as a half-hour series on October 1, 1955.

Sanford and Son is an American sitcom that ran on the NBC television network from January 14, 1972 to March 25, 1977. It was based on the BBC television program Steptoe and Son.

Growing Pains is an American television sitcom about an American family, which aired on ABC from September 24, 1985, to April 25, 1992. The show ran for seven seasons with a total of 166 episodes aired.

The Jeffersons is an American sitcom that was broadcast on CBS from January 18, 1975, through July 2, 1985, lasting 11 seasons and a total of 253 episodes. The show was produced by the T.A.T. Communications Company from 1975-82 and by Embassy Television from 1982-85. The Jeffersons is one of the longest-running sitcoms in the history of American television.

Three's Company is an American sitcom that aired for eight seasons on ABC from March 15, 1977 to September 18, 1984. It is based on the British sitcom Man About the House.

Gilligan's Island is an American sitcom created and produced by Sherwood Schwartz via United Artists Television. The show had an ensemble cast that featured Bob Denver, Alan Hale Jr., Jim Backus, Natalie Schafer, Russell Johnson, Tina Louise, and Dawn Wells. It aired for three seasons on the CBS network from September 26, 1964, to April 17, 1967. Originally sponsored by Philip Morris & Co and Procter & Gamble, the show followed the comic adventures of seven castaways as they attempted to survive the island on which they had been shipwrecked. Most episodes revolve around the dissimilar castaways' conflicts and their unsuccessful attempts, for whose failure Gilligan was frequently responsible, to escape their plight.

20. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    There is a BBC equivalent to The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, called Out of the Unknown (1965-71).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_the_Unknown
    Most episodes were adaptations of stories by famous sci-fi authors, such as Isaac Asimov, J.G. Ballard, Fredrik Pohl, John Wyndham and others.

I've searched for episodes, but they seem hard to find as direct downloads. Some torrents exist, which I haven't tried.