Two different files with same name in same folder.....

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by darkcurves, May 29, 2009.

1. darkcurves

darkcurves MDL Novice

May 29, 2009
    Just wondering because i downloaded two files from my web host server. Both named 19103.jpg and 19103.JPG, the only difference being that one is lower case and the other upper case. When i download them, one is downloaded and when the other is downloaded, it just replaces the previous file. Is it some kinda limitation for Windows OS or i can change the settings for this. Any help at all would be really appreciated. Thanks! :D

2. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    That's a limitation-- I mean feature-- of Windows (or perhaps of the file system). You can't have two files with the same name with case differences in the same folder. Like you said one will replace the other.

3. darkcurves

darkcurves MDL Novice

May 29, 2009
    Wow, that sucks. I am dealing with 20k files, hahaha. Thanks anyway.

4. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    depending of the program you use to download there may be setting like "autorename" that will rename files like:

19103.jpg
    19103(1).jpg
    19103(2).jpg
    19103(3).jpg
    19103(4).jpg

Some apps might even allow you to define "(1)" part to something different

5. darkcurves

darkcurves MDL Novice

May 29, 2009
    Hmmm, your screenshot looks like a dirty VHS. Btw, which OS allows save files with same name in the same folder?

I use Filezilla, cant find this feature to rename.

6. Rodrigo

Rodrigo MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2009
    to explain

It is in the Operating System (or File System) rules that cannot permit the same file name in a folder.

In my System has happened by accident and I made a search over the internet to find a reason for this.

As a PC freak I will be very glad to say that I have seen this thing in my life.

But, on purpose, Windows (or any other) will never let you put or rename a file in a folder if this folder contains already a same one.

The pictures I have posted will need a time for the Admin of the host service to be checked, that they are not illegal material.:rolleyes: