two hdd

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by razRA, Mar 16, 2014.

1. razRA

razRA MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2012
    OK, if anyone can know what will happen.. ? I got a laptop which supports two hdd. On one hdd I installed windows 7 but without the other hdd attached to the laptop. And ive done the same way with the other hdd and i install windows 8 on it. Now what am worried a bit if I plug both hdd to be both at the same time inside the laptop will damage any windows? or it will give me the option to choose what OS to boot? :confused:

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #2 s1ave77, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Nothing to be afraid about here :D. Only thing is, you don't have a boot manager, so it needs to set the drive you want to boot from in BIOS/UEFI boot options to position 1. Depending which HDD is selected your laptop will boot into Win 7 or 8.

==================================

BTW: Nice match of avatars here :good3:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    For Win 8 i recommend to do a statup repair and see if it helps. You'll need to boot from Win 8 install media and choose the repair options at the bottom of the page that will also start the Setup.

Seems the BIOS is very limitted :D.

To have a boot loader it would need to install second OS with the first HDD still attached. In case one system isn't recognised afterwards, a Startup Repair is required.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. razRA

razRA MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2012
    I will try the repair on windows 8 .. if will not work ... well I don't want to re-install windows 7 so I will use One HDD at a time :D sounds stupid but might work in my issue

5. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    As always ... adapt to your liking :D.

6. razRA

razRA MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Now windows 8 boot ok without repair but it seems I will not have dual boot I done the mistake to install them individually ..must be a way to do it from inside windows 8 maybe with cmd :confused:

7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    No way via cmd to my knowledge, but Partition Managers like the one from Paragon should have such an option.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. hellowasif

hellowasif Guest

If bios don't have the option of choosing the HDD to boot first. U can install both windows on same hardisk but on different Partions and than when u will restart the PC u will be asked which windows u want to boot ...!!!

10. razRA

razRA MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks urie ! The software that you indicate worked. I just had a small error on first boot but I put windows 7 installation disc and I've done a repair .. and now windows 8 when boots it give me two options to boot from windows 7 or windows 8.1. Yooooohooo thanks urie !!! :shake: