Two Internal Drives

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by C.B., Sep 16, 2011.

1. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
  2. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    acrsn has given you some good guidelines to follow.

in my opinion i would slim the first system drive (hd0, C) to about 120gb (this is more than enough for the OS and anything included with it, plus restore points if you use them, which i do not and if you do regular backups there is no need for them in my opinion)

then take the remaining unallocated space on hd0 and make one partition of the all the remaining space (about 480gb), or make two partitions of about 240gb each. use one for your data, such as pics, videos, documents, etc. and use one for games and such if you are a gamer.

then for hd1, i would split it in half with 2 partitions, 250gb each, use one for backup images using your favorite program for such (i use and recommend paragon backup and recovery free 2011), and use the other for whatever you prefer, or leave it empty until you need it.

if i was working with this much space, this is how i would do it personally, of course we all have different tastes, different plans for our gigs

3. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I thank both of you for your prompt replies and the information provided. The only reason I have two internal drives is because that's the way the laptop was offered according to the particular system I chose. I have a new Dell XPS 7100 desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, with a 1TB internal drive, which is where I do most of my computing. I have two 1TB external drives connected to it. I use Acronis TIH 2012 to back up my system on a weekly basis. I make single, full backups to each of the external drives and the ASZ, each on a different day. I travel to Asia every year or two for three or four months and I bought this laptop to take with me for the singular purpose of watching DVD movies.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I agree with acrsn and stayboogy, about resizing the C:\ drive but I think at 100 -120 GB even that is far to large. Largest C:\ partition I have ever made is 30Gb and I have never managed to fill that up all downloads and important documents e.c.t are stored on other drives or partitions along with backups as for games I do not have many but most are installed on other partitions just remember the larger you c:\ partition the more stuff you may install on it and the longer it takes to do backup and restoration.