Tyan Thunder K8WE / nVRAID / Windows7x64

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mokaz, Dec 9, 2009.

1. mokaz

mokaz MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2009
    #1 mokaz, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
    is there anyone who managed to get this running?

As soon as NVIDIA drivers are installed I'm facing weird but really
    weird and destructive RAID issues... I would avoid them if possible
    but without them the whole system reacts very strangely although
    in the dev mgr everything looks great...

Honestly it's nothing i've been faced with before, here is what i've done;
    - install win7 x64 OEM (no issue)
    - configured disks and so on
    - installed nvidia drivers packs (vista based) latest avail.

Then, check that; the system reboots, drop the 1st HDD from the 1st RAID (OS) takes the last HDD from the other RAID1 (the data drives) and start to rebuild on it. MediaShield utility is then claiming that one raid as gone and nothing else.. fu**in weird really.. I tried two times and two times the same issue...

I'm now backuping things =) from the surviving drive !

Any feedback and drivers packs would be welcome.

my facts;
    K8WE 1.06 + nVRAID 5.53 (comes with the mobo bios)
    2x 1TB os (raid1)
    2x 1.5TB data (raid1)

Thanks for your help,
    best regards,
    m.

========================
    EDIT1: just for you guys to understand; when i'm configuring the RAID's from the BIOS utility all is good, Windows see's two drives, 1x1TB & 1x1.5TB.
    Windows 7 x64 install without any problems, all good... Just some weird and dramatic slowdowns issues in Audio applications. So the preceding things
    only happend with nvidia drivers (good god these guys claim to be pro's, only problems with that chipset, getting this sys running always took me weeks
    every times...)

========================
    EDIT2: bought a AMCC 9560SE SATA RAID PCI-E controller yesterday and honestly, I shall have done that months ago.
    to nvidia developers, get beyond turbo pascal dudes!

2. DougDingle

DougDingle MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    I'd like to install win7-64 Pro on my Tyan K8WE as well, and I already have the 9560 raid controller installed. Currently running on XP 32 bit. Using it for video editing, Adobe CS3, updating to CS4 shortly.

I am not clear on how things worked for you once you went to the AMCC PCIe raid controller.

Did you still install any drivers from the Tyan site, or does win7-64 already have all the required drivers natively, and you were only having onboard raid problems? Or was there more to it?

I'm not using the onboard raid, have a single system drive installed.

Any help appreciated so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks very much.

3. DougDingle

DougDingle MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    Anyone else running the Tyan K8WE (S2895) motherboard on Windows 7?

4. DougDingle

DougDingle MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    >No i didn't installed ANY nvidia crappy drivers at ALL.

So all the drivers needed for the motherboard are included in Win7? That's terrific.

I do have a full 64 bit Pro version here, which I will try installing later this week.

I've updated the 3ware controller to the latest firmware and drivers. I don't need to use them at installation time because I don't boot from that raid (video storage only). I boot from a single sata drive outside the raid, then after win7 is installed, I will load the raid drivers for the 3ware controller.

>Let me know

I will, and thanks.