U.S. Government Shuts Down Megaupload

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Matty Lowe, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    The point that you are missing is, that they can and that they did....

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    And they will have to answer at some point why they did what they did. I think they are using the same tactics they used with torrents when they sent out letters to people saying your IP was downloading x and you have to pay $y or face the court. When people stood up to them their case fell apart and they had to stop that s**t. Now they have taken it to the server level, let's see when Megaupload takes them on in court if they will be able to backup their thug like behavior? Their bluff worked with the initial panic!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
  4. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    #144 nodnar, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    @hl,

quote:Your sentence just about sums it up: "HL tried to put us with both feet on the ground".:unquote.

yes.
    i did that on purpose, my friend.
    make no mistake, i appreciate what you are trying to do..:clap3:

posted elsewhere on this forum about this, having just recently
    woke up to what is happening.:mad:

and yes, i suppose we sometimes have our heads in a [the?] cloud..
    but so what?? so long as we agree this legislation stuff is highly
    undesirable, as i think we do, then we have got a common ground
    to look at solutions, i think. and they ARE needed..

with all due respect,
    nodnar..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    That's quite disturbing to say the least. Actionable intelligence that's ripe. I appreciate you making that available for my reading. It certainly confirms a lot of my fears about the direction our government is headed. It reminds me of the FBI from the 50's nononsence pointed out in his post. We certainly have our work ahead of us. I hope you are one for action.:biggrin5:

6. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hi redroad,

your machine sure beat my old pc to downloading that pdf,
    but i eventually did, of course..what i find most disturbing
    is not so much the implications of this.
    but we are posting splinters of the same issue all over
    this forum, and many folks respond to only half of it..
    [time that somebody puts in a new sticky, yen?]

7. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    A virtual secretary:Lighten: brilliant. We can get some of the anime folks to create him or her. Although I think we would be arguing which attributes and character traits would be most beneficial.:hummer::g::biggrin5:

8. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    #148 nononsence, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    Thanks, I'd also like to clarify that the anti-communist rhetoric stopped after the USSR crumbled, and that the US also fought wars in Korea in the 1950's and Vietnam in the 1960's
    to stop the spread of communism a lot of these people are still alive and active in politics so it will take another 40-50 years before any Marxist ideology could be introduced in to
    American politics.

EDIT:
    link to story about old people thinking everything is a communist plot.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/04/u...jects-seeing-un-plot.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

In the US, China is largely seen as a peaceful country and if you listen to National Public Radio most of the news reports are hopeful that China will be able to continue it's economic
    growth, improve human rights, and improve the living conditions of the average Chinese citizen living in the country side. I really think that the US has embraced globalism and sees
    China as an important part of the world economy, and would like to see China avoid the mistakes that the US has made in the past. In the end the US wants to see a stable and
    prosperous China to emerge as a superpower to help stabilize the region.

9. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Trust me.... when (if) you or anyone else does come up with a solution, I will be in the front row applauding you.

10. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    :eek: I am afraid it is your turn now, my time was in the 60s to the 80s..... :weeping:

11. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    IMHO unless :rip: it is still your turn. I am the same generation as you:biggrin5: you can't get off that easy:clapping::bruce_h4h::nono3::sporty94:

12. itsamee

itsamee MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2012
    US Government?

Filesonic has also stopped working for us. All downloads have ceased.:(

13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    The problem is China won't stabilize anything, they keep to themselves.

14. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I just did not want to leave any Chinese people reading my post with the impression that US media was still using communist fear mongering
    towards China, if anything the media tries to avoid mentioning communism in conjunction with China and the typical head line for a China news
    story is "Beijing announces its open to unification of Korea." when I was in school I took a few journalism classes and learned how to word a
    head line and story to invoke ether a positive or negative feeling in the reader, (in the US it would be hard to portray that head line in a negative
    light because the US wants to withdraw its troops from South Korea) "Beijing" could be replaced with "Peoples Republic of China" or "China's communist
    ruling party" if the US wanted to sway public opinion against China they would only have to keep reminding the reader that China is still kinda a
    communist country and I'm just not hearing that.

If former US president Jimmy Carter is to be believed China has greatly increased it's involvement in world politics, he also
    seems proud of is role in opening relations between the US and China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Gk...xt=C331eb56UDOEgsToPDskIzXy1G4bJf4cabArETvdfG

15. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    It seems to me the only reason the US is putting a positive light on China and are willing to have them take over enforcer roles in the region is due to the US economy.
    The US can no longer afford to go around playing World police. However China will only do something if they see some benefit I don't see goodwill being an incentive for them.

16. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    Hmmmm, I have become very suspicious 10-12 years ago there was always accusations of Chinese spying and espionage in the news, did they suddenly stop?
    the Chinese execute people quite often and US human rights organization's were always trying to get the US gov to pressure China to stop, not a peep from them for some time.
    any time a news report critical of China is aired the reporter always has an expert on China to explain Beijing's position, which is a little unusual for US media.

I listened to BBC Radio to day and got a very different impression of China, first story was about Chinese officials killing three Tibetan men. and at least 2 other stories critical
    of China.

Hmmmmm very intriguing....

17. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
  18. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    #158 Hannibal Lecter, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
    Some more good background, as there are people, who are thinking about it all:

http://torrentfreak.com/mega-aftermath-upheaval-in-pirate-warez-land-120128/

Here is an article about what the "other side" is panning:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/79607883/Proposals-to-Search-Engines

And here is the paper itself:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/79607883/Proposals-to-Search-Engines

Here is another quite good analysis:

http://techpresident.com/news/21680...egauplaod-and-four-proposals-where-we-go-here

19. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    thank you for a very thorough piece
    of homework, hl.

there seems to be even more self-censoring
    starting than i already thought.

another response to the content industry`s
    lobby that i would personally think would
    be effective does not seem to be happening
    though.

i mean consumers voting with their feet, or
    rather with their purse, against the industry,
    by limiting what they buy from them.
    that would really hit them, where it hurts.

[ it is the same with what we are doing here
    in some ways; it is all very well to remove
    a whitelist from some bios, but why not buy
    a product next time, where that list is just
    not present, and point people to less offensive
    manufacturers?]

20. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010

I totally agree with you, only I have always, or at least for the last three decades seen the behaviour of "normal" people as the real problem.
    And now you can probably understand better where the cynical attitude in my first post in this thread comes from. Its not the number of years, it is my experience that makes me too old.