U.S. Government Shuts Down Megaupload

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Matty Lowe, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    oh, i never thought your first post cynical
    as such, it was just that i refuse to give up
    just because people are thickheaded..

and at times angry young men make me
    feel old too..:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    There are actually other people out there, intelligent people, who have their thoughts about the whole mess.
    If someone speaks reasonable german (sorry about that) there is a very good opinion piece here:

http://faz-community.faz.net/blogs/deus/archive/2012/01/24/gerechtigkeit-fuer-kim-dotcom.aspx

This is a very conservative newspaper, still, they seem to be to very much aware of the reality and the obvious failure of the content industry, and that this is the actual problem- Kit Dotcom is just a symptom....

3. ar_seven_am

ar_seven_am MDL Senior Member

Mar 7, 2010
    #164 ar_seven_am, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I'm not sure it have been discussed or not, the reason megaupload closed becuz they have streaming movie feature which illegally distribute pirated movie which break DMCA rules, n it have been remote uploaded by other people (mostly we call them warez) over & over.

for protesting SOPA, even the Presiden of US (Barrack Obama) also Bill Gates (Microsoft) join the protest (just google, u'll find that).

Megaupload DONT OPEN NEW FILEHOST, IT'S FAKE. It just some people tryin' to gain advantage with visitor caused by closed megaupload.

Filesonic doesn't owned by Fileserve, megaupload case give them lot of problem, even their official marketing even say they want to sell filesonic company for 200.000 USD, n after that all feature that have been disabled can be reenable by the new owner.

Other filehost which have server located in US (fileserve, videobb, videozer ----> the owner is the same) expecially which open streaming movie files affraid this will became affected to them, which is why now some of them only allow you to download your own file (strange, so what's the meaning of "file sharing" if we download our own file???)

If both of you want to know how do I know this, simple :

Code:
    http://code.google.com/p/rapidleech/

I'm part of their script developer (and I deal directly with the official file host, even filesonic have sent their programmer to make their own download/upload plugin).

The only loses of megaupload closed is premium member who have pay(lifetime, a year, a month etc) also user who share legal file with their family, friend or co worker.

Megaupload closed it's not related to SOPA, the fact is the company used for money laundry for pirate copyright material (which is why Kim ask some artist to make mega song after several accused, but after Kim arrested, the artist deny their participation for the file host itself).

I personally dont want to interfere this thread but I need to clarified this since it related to what I'm currently working at, thx!

to urie & yen : sorry for including a script link which is forbidden here since it related to "warez".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I feel we should all be chasing women a bit more... than this...:rolleyes::biggrin:

7. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    You mean like this:

:rofl6:

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    AHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! :biggrin5: Quite!!!:D

9. ewanone

ewanone MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    Hmm... "Now one of the two server hosting companies that Megaupload used, Carpathia Hosting, has announced it is teaming up with the non-profit Electronic Frontier Foundation to help some of Megaupload's users retrieve their files."

"Some" is pretty broad if you ask me, I am pretty sure most of the users won't get any of their legit files back.

I am actually pretty curious to see how this plays out in the end.

Looks like he's not going anywhere for the time being:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...ils-to-win-bail-bid-in-new-zealand-court.html

10. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    #171 nononsence, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    Here is my latest DMCA battle, Microsoft claims that it has copyright on device drivers for Roland musical equipment.
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=766
    I have already disputed this once but checking in on my Mediafire account today, I was greeted with this.

DMCA_1.jpg

DMCA_2.jpg

When I discovered that Roland released drivers for Windows 7, I deleted the file (many months ago), but the DMCA complaints
    keep coming. This is why people are against any strengthening of copyright, because the current laws are being fraudulently
    abused by corporations that don't even have a valid claim.

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/archive/index.php/t-11722.html
    http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30465&p=189046&hilit=oiitmtdetzt#p189046

11. ewanone

ewanone MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    Oh well, what's the world coming to?:wallbash:

Looks like some others are trying to not get dragged into this sorta mess and are calling it quits:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/06/mo...orrent-search-engine-btjunkie-calls-it-quits/

As Accel Partners VC Max Niederhofer points out on Twitter, the shutdown of BTjunkie follows other abrupt decisions made by the likes of QuickSilverScreen (closed) and FileSonic (file sharing functionality terminated). Of course, there’s also Uploaded.to (suspended service in the United States), FileServe (disabled file sharing functionality, closed affiliate program), and more.

Wonder which one's next...

12. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    well my friends.
    i`ve been reading some older [2009] threads
    here about dmca; the moral seems to be that
    both mediafire, whose servers are in the us,
    and m$ figure prominently in cease and
    desist things and intimidations, time and
    time again.
    almost as if m$ is looking over your shoulder
    @ mediafire. [ i would not trust that site
    any further than i can throw it..]
    dmca predates sopa, pipa,and acta by more than
    a decennium, but it is a dose of the same
    bad medicine, imho..
    it shows we have been sleeping too long..

13. ewanone

ewanone MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    Hmm interesting plus that list is actually making a good point if you ask me.:wallbash:

Does seem pretty strange how the US Government can do anything and get away with this whole deal like it's nothing much.I for one can't wait to see how this Megaupload deal ends...

Btw on a side note, hear about some rumor on the web and was wondering if anyone else got any idea if it's true or not. It's on some legit alternative to megaupload and filesharing that's presumably going to be launched by audials.com.

Now I've actually got no idea what's this mysterious audials technology that's gonna be better and safer than megaupload and filesharing sites, didn't manage to find out anything else on this. Went on that audials site but I didn't manage to dig up anything on this.

If it's true and legal of course, would probably be pretty useful

Did you guys hear anything about this, is it legit?o_O

14. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    #176 dareckibmw, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    With all that money he got from the likes of us - he can, indeed... but how far? They have more...

16. ewanone

ewanone MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    What, he got out on bail?I was pretty sure that was not going to happen anytime soon.:D So if he got out on bail are we gonna get Megaupload back?:biggrin:

I guess not, oh well back to them megaupload replacements. Didn't manage to find anything on that audials filesharing technology rumor I heard about either, guess that's a dead end. Shame, looked promising...

17. Miya.tao

Miya.tao MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2012
    is rapidshare will be next?? :confused:

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    They are German I think, will be harder for US to shut them down.