ucrtbase.dll Error

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Suzerain, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Suzerain

Suzerain MDL Junior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    MS update recently forced a "firmware" update for my Asus motherboard which updated the BIOS automatically and after finally getting it to work, I'm getting crashes to desktop for GTA V - the only game I really play - with 'ucrtbase.dll' error.

In Event Viewer, this shows:

Code:
    Faulting application name: GTA5.exe, version: 1.0.2699.0, time stamp: 0x62d9ac71
    Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.22621.436, time stamp: 0xf5fc15a3
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000000000007f61e
    Faulting process id: 0x0x20D0
    Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D8B7807D51EF96
    Faulting application path: F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
    Report Id: 503ab7ec-bca7-4485-a811-c9c422b5a8a8
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I tried the following:

1.) CPU stability tests - Cinebench R23
    2.) RAM stability tests - Karhu
    3.) Reinstalled Visual C++ Redistributables
    4.) SFC /SCANNOW - no integrity violations found

All other games and programs work fine but when I try to play GTA V, it loads and then immediately crashes to the desktop with no explicit error other than the one in Event Viewer which points to ucrtbase.dll.

How do I fix this? I tried verifying game files on Steam and that didn't do anything either.

I'm on Windows 11 Insider Build 22H2 (22622.575).

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ward201185

ward201185 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2019
    try disabling secure boot perhaps.
    maybe its blocking the dll from loading.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Then the reason is something other, not the OS and the ucrtbase.dll, it can be a program or an app or a game or whatever that uses it and when you start it this error message appears. Search there.
    If it's a game, then this game just won't run on this system and anything is clear.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ward201185

ward201185 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2019
    #6 ward201185, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    kind of a bold claim (no offense intended at all) to say that the game wont run when prob previously it was running on his computer.
    you havent even asked for his specs if he can really run the game.
    maybe because of the firmware update and that maybe his pc is secured-core, i guess it might've enabled some security feature that just caused the dll just to stop working.
    maybe his windows installation somehow became corrupt after he installed the firmware update.

6. Suzerain

Dec 13, 2012
    This is most likely the case since everything else seems to work properly the update must have borked something.

Is there a way to restore the OS without having to do a fresh install so that I can keep all the apps & games but just fix the Windows OS files?

I already ran chkdsk, sfc /scannow, DISM commands etc. but this error keeps happening.

The only other thing I can think of is reverting back to the older BIOS but I highly doubt that that would fix the issue since everything else - all other games & programs work properly on this latest BIOS update.

Also, yes - I have a pretty high end gaming system so no problems running the game.

Should I use DDU and reinstall GPU drivers? Could issue with the Nvidia driver cause a problem with ucrtbase.dll? Seems odd tbh.

7. ward201185

ward201185 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2019
    #8 ward201185, Aug 24, 2022
    theres a thing called in-place upgrade.
    you could try that but you are on an insider build so i dont know if you could do that without breaking your os.
    if theres a way to create the latest insider build iso then you could.
    but i think i would recommend that you backup your entire windows installation with macrium reflect or any other backup software to somewhere safe before trying this.
    beware that backing up your windows installation may not keep system restore points or keep track of volume shadow copies.
    i'd love to break down the issue just to see what the problem is instead of doing something that causes so many changes just to fix 1 problem (in-place upgrade) while not knowing what the problem really was.

8. ward201185

ward201185 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2019
    did disabling secure boot work atleast?
    since its a firmware update, i dont know if thats supposed to really do any kind of change to windows if its from a manufacturer.
    check your bios if theres something new and/or trying disabling secure boot.

9. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    #10 shhnedo, Aug 24, 2022
    Hello?
    Also, are we really expecting stability out of 11 22H2?

10. ward201185

ward201185 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2019
    #11 ward201185, Aug 25, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    i dont think stability has anything to do with the ucrtbase.dll error.
    something changed and he needs to find what changed.
    maybe he should check the update history to see if that was really the only update that was installed that caused this.

11. Suzerain

Dec 13, 2012
    I haven't tried disabling secure boot yet. When I go into the BIOS, there's no option for 'Enable/Disable' Secure Boot - it only shows me the keys, clear keys, or save keys.

Should I revert to an older BIOS first?

I installed the C++ redist package from that github link and that didn't work either.

Game etc. was working perfectly fine before the BIOS update. In fact, the game worked fine right after the update once. The next day when I tried to play, this started happening (again, only with GTA V pointing to ucrtbase.dll). Today, I updated the OS to the latest insider build as mentioned before.

12. ward201185

ward201185 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2019
    i dont think you should revert to an older bios unless necessary, i wouldnt risk wanting to brick the bios.
    i'd rather do that as the last resort if nothing helps.
    i also have an asus motherboard too but i have the option to change the os type to non windows which basically disables secure boot, i dont know if you have the same but dont do anything in the bios if you dont know what you are doing.

13. Suzerain

Dec 13, 2012
    Yikes that doesn't sound good at all. So is there a way I can get the latest Insider Build ISO through UUP or something?

14. ward201185

ward201185 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2019
    #15 ward201185, Aug 25, 2022
    i guess try to make sure that the insider build you are going to use to do an in-place upgrade atleast has the same build number as your os or higher.

if the game was working just fine after the update then the update might not have caused it.

perhaps try uninstalling all versions of the visual c++ redistributable which uses ucrtbase.dll and install the latest version.
    i think different versions of these can coexist in winsxs and one of these versions might have corrupted files.

15. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Or... you can just run a (reasonably) known stable build of windows, instead of playing Russian roulette with insider builds.

16. ward201185

ward201185 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2019
    i initially wanted to question why he was using insider build but kept it out of the point.
    he would have to reformat windows to install the stable build.

17. Suzerain

Dec 13, 2012
    Just rolled back the BIOS to the previous version and tried the game at completely stock (no OC whatsoever) settings and it still crashes with ucrtbase.dll - definitely points toward something being corrupted.

Okay, so for the redist reinstall, I uninstall all of them through Control Panel and just install the one from that github link?

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is considered the latest 'stable build' of Windows 11? If I do have to reinstall Windows as a 'fresh install', I will use the non-insider build going forward.

18. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    I don't see how that's an issue for people running insider builds. Like, as elitist as it may sound, you should know what you're getting into when you download and install certain types of builds. I'd completely understand running a 1904x build of 10, hell, even 22000 build of 11, but using an insider AND updating it with beta CUs... damn... the lust for big namberz is real.

Yes, reformat of the system partition and installing fresh copy of a stable build shoud be the first step, however it might seem.
    The vc++ repack from abbodi should be on hand as well. Proper gpu driver, along with all other platform drivers, too.

19. ward201185

ward201185 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2019
    #20 ward201185, Aug 25, 2022
    yes, uninstall all of the visual c++ 2015 and later redistributables and install just the latest version.
    note: now that you reverted back to the old bios, windows may force install it again.

the latest stable build is what you get for example via media creation tool or a retail consumer iso for windows 11.

turns out ucrtbase.dll might be part of windows instead and prob has nothing to do with visual c++ 2015
    it even states its own build number which is 10.0.22621.436.
    problem might be something else and it might be because you are running windows 11 insider preview which can be buggy.
    if you have added mods or anything else to the game then maybe try reversing all that and see if it runs.
    then if it does then track down which mod causes this game to crash.
    you might want to try reverting back to non-beta or stable builds of windows 11 if mods do crash the game.

if you are really not so sure that windows 10 insider preview is really causing this issue then you can try dualbooting with a clean build of windows 11 to test if the game really works fine there with everything intact before you do a clean install.