uefi booting

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by adit123tya, Nov 27, 2012.

1. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    #21 tinux, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    The above is booting from UEFI just like mine

Th best way to tell is when inserting DVD Hit F8 click on UEFI dvd to boot from if not then when the Bios is set to UEFI or EFi the menu writing would come up very small and bright and would ask you to hit any key usually the space bar would do.
    the other option is if you go to Disk management and check your drive it should be a GPT (guid)
    you do not need the efi shell to boot as long as the DVD or USB has a boot folder is pointing at Bootx64.efi. if you have Guru partition you can check your efi partition and it will show you the folder it boots from

2. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    When you say no use you mean you can not install in UEFI? then if that is the case then what is happening is the DVD is burned on a bios Platform . it needs to be burnt on a EUFI platform so that it inject the bootx64.efi . basically the origin DVD should have Boot folder and in it must be bootx64.efi and another folder called efi and inside it should be 2 folders Boot and Microsoft in boot it should be bootx64.efi and in Microsoft folder another folder called boot and init should be 8 items. when you put your DVD if the bios is EFi the DVD point at bootx64.efi and the installion will lead you to formating your drive to GPT or if the drive is not you woul;d get an error saying can not install blah.blah,,, if the Bios is in legacy the DVD would boot in normal mode and your get MBR etc..

3. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    As I said that my hd is partition in GPT format... UEFI in bios is enabled and i used the msdn iso to install win 8... during booting my pc was in MBR format and I had to change it to GPT using diskpart... but as u see the system is booting from winload.exe and not from an efi file and also the setup created only to partition automatically saying one is system reserved whereas actually it should create four or five (I don't remember exactly)

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #24 Shenj, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
  6. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    If you have an MBR fat32 formatted USB stick, the boot folder, the sources folder with boot.wim, bootmgr and bootmgr.efi in root, and the EFI folder with efi\boot\bootx64.efi the USB will boot EFI if its set in the bios. You can substitute bootx64.efi with another file, like a grub one for a shell. Google ShellBinPkg_UefiShell_X64_Shell.efi and rename it bootx64.efi